Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby bottletree » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 am

Hi fellow gardeners,

I was thinking about buying a grevillea standard (hopefully in the range of 1.5-2M tall) - one with the umbrella shape (rigid canopy as opposed to 'weeping'). Given the complicated nature and age of such a standard, they are quite exxy! I just wanted to check with the forum to find out how long I should expect a grevillea standard (grafted to G. Robusta) to live for (approx)?

Also, how quickly should I expect the top the graft to grow? There is a truly terrific looking standard at Neilsens Nursery - either fanfare or bronze rambler, that has a very substantial trunk and a perfectly thick umbrella-like canopy (it is largely the motivation for me getting one!).

Thanks

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi BT,

I'm certainly no expert on subject, but I live in an area that has lots of large Grevillea Robustas (which I assume are quite old). I wasn't aware that they were affected by a short lifespan like Acacias. I just read on a website that they reach maturity in 15-20 years and that after that their growth slows down and they may become more prone to disease. Apparently they live up to 50 years. Bear in mind that the information is from an American website for people trying to grow them over there...

Since I get about 6 GR seedlings every year from the surrounding trees, I'm going to try experimenting to graft some of my own. I like G bipinnatifida as a standard. I live a few km away from a wholesale Grevillea nursery that supplies retail nurseries. They have some gorgeous standards. When I was at Melbourne's most renowned native nursery a week or two ago, I spotted standard grevilleas from the wholesale nursery (tagged as such) which cost almost 200% what that nursery sells it for to the general public. I know people pay in excess of $300 for grass trees, but I couldn't justify paying for a grass tree, standard grevillea or wollemi pine.

One thing to keep in mind when selecting a standard grevillea - like any other grevillea - is the duration of flowering. I'd be more inclined to choose a variety that flowers for most if not all of the year. I have a Bronze Rambler grevillea as a groundcover and in my garden, it doesn't flower for very long. Some spp are reputed to flower for pretty much the whole year. Superb is one, I think Robyn Gordon is another, Billy Bonkers is another. I've seen Billy Bonkers standards at the wholesale nursery and it's pretty tempting. I have a Lollypops which is a child of Billy Bonkers and I might just try to graft it onto a Silky Oak. I also think Honey Gem would be tempting as a standard. I'd be fine with a standard that flowered for 2-3 months (ie. if I could get a G longistyla standard), but not one that only flowered for 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, keep us updated with you choice! :D

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Cool - thanks for that GW! You raise an important point about the length of flowering. I do like Billy Bonkers, but it's electric pink colouring won't quite fit in with my colour scheme :)

I was thinking red, white ... or possibly a dark gold, maybe like poorinda blondie or honey gem - not thinking too much about the pastelly colours (soft yellows, pinks etc). A deep purple would be cool also, but I have only seen purple-ish grevilleas on the Australias Plants website, and they are difficult to get a hold of!

The standards I saw for sale at the localish Native place (Neilsens) were one of :

Grevillea juniperina Molonglo(soft orange)
Grevillea fanfare
Grevillea bronze rambler
Grevillea Royal Mantle (I think... anyhow).

They have more variety in their gardens, but unfortunately, not for sale. I think Cooroora Cascade might be pretty amazing, but most definitely not umbrella-like :S

Australis plants have a list of their grafted weeping standards, some interesting ones are:
G. Ruby Red
Nectar Delight (I know its pink, but its so pretty! http://www.australisplants.com.au/ornam ... light1.jpg)
Grevillea tenuiloba

To get the weeping/umbrella aspect, does the top plant need to be a ground-cover? I dont want something that grows much taller than 2M.

Thanks!

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 am

Cooroora cascade might suit your requirements BT. They have it planted at Fairlill and it seems to have a reasonable flowering period there.

I wish someone had told my Billy Bonkers that it was supposed to have a long flowering period.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm

bottletree wrote:To get the weeping/umbrella aspect, does the top plant need to be a ground-cover? I dont want something that grows much taller than 2M.

I think that there wouldn't be many standard grevilleas that would grow beyond 2.5m. In answer to your question, yes, the umbrella shaped standards are created by grafting ground covers to the Grevillea Robusta. I have a G thelemanniana - Red Rambler (according to the tag which came with it) which is a ground cover and I've seen a similar one called Sea Spray which does come in standard form. I've also seen G thelemanniana that looks vastly different from the one I have... The funny thing about Grevilleas is that there are a lot of different registered names for essentially the same plant. For example G Longistyla ~ G Elegance and G Bon Accord ~ G Bonfire.

Pam wrote:I wish someone had told my Billy Bonkers that it was supposed to have a long flowering period.

Interestingly, I have a Lollypops which Brill advised me was a descendant of Billy Bonkers. I bought it in May and it's had a few flushes of flowers since planting. It doesn't always have flowers like Superb, but it does flower repeatedly over the year.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby brill » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Don't even try to get plants from Australis Plants. No one that I know of is successful. Been told they are focusing on Olives and not doing grevilleas.
To the 'untrained eye' some grevilleas may seem like the same plant, and there certainly are similarities, but they are different.

Grevillea Elegance is a cross between G. Longistyla and G. Johnsonii and is different to its parents.

Both Grevillea Bon Accord and G. Bonfire are crosses between G. Johnsonii and G. Wilsonii. They are similar but they are different too, just like 2 brothers who look very similar but are still different. IMO. for the home gardener, one is as good as the other. BUT I have not grown either.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 am

brill wrote:Don't even try to get plants from Australis Plants. No one that I know of is successful. Been told they are focusing on Olives and not doing grevilleas.

It is a real pity about Australis Plants - they should take down their grevillea website, really - its just plain cruel to us grevillea fanatics!

GW - am I understanding you right in saying that you can use any scion (I looked up the name for the 'top' part of the graft, hehe) cultivar on robusta rootstock and it will grow more outwards than upwards? ie. will a Honey Gem scion have any kind of weeping effect, or will it be like a tuft/bush at the top of the trunk (for a high graft) :P

I am looking at the list of Grevilleas at Changers Green (http://www.nurseriesonline.com.au/chang ... alogue.htm) - the manager there was most helpful in sourcing a Summer Snow for me! I have had a look at Royal Mantle, but the lack of spread in the canopy (it seems to drop straight down) makes it not the kind of shade tree (for kids and dogs) I was looking for. I really should have taken a picture of the fanfare standard at Neilsens, its awesome!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby brill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi BT. Honey Gen will not weep. It will still have the same shrub habit just on top of the base stock (G.Robusta). To get a weeping effect, or umbrella like shape, you need a plant that grows that way. Have you thought of Golden Lyre. It grows like an umbrella about 2m high and wide. IMO might be no need to graft it. Just get a young plant and train it to grow straight up (Need to strake it and retie regularly because it will tend to grow umbrella like from a young age). Prune off lower branches as they grow. When it's about 1mt high let it spread. Actually I might try that myself and see how it turns out. If you want it taller might have to graft it. I do think it would look good as a tall graft too. I'm sure Richard (Changers Green) would do that. I just don't think anyone has asked him to do it.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks for that Brill - I may have to make a trip up to Gin Gin to pick up the standard, cause I am not sure how else to get it! I could ask him what he would think about a golden lyre standard? I really like the flowers of golden lyre!

If I can't get the standard from Richard, can you recommend any nurseries closer that do them? It's going to be difficult to get a 1.5-2m plant home in my corolla :(

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 pm

On the subject of Golden Lyre, Brill, have you seen Ninderry Gold? Same parents as Golden Lyre, (HOney Gem and G. formosa), only perhaps a touch less upright and a rich pure yellow rather than gold. VERY pretty.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 pm

No, haven't seen it Pam. It's one of Fairhill's I think. Has anyone been to F lately. How are they looking up there.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:08 am

I am still leaning towards getting Grevillea Fanfare. Found this beautiful picture of two standards, see below :) I don't know how well Fanfare performs in the garden regarding flowering, but online I've read mixtures of 'most of the year', 'Spring -> Autumn', and 'Spring-Summer'. So I am not sure how long they will flower for... but I do like the habit of the tree also. Do honey-eaters like this variety? Should I assume that all grevilleas are good for attracting little birdies?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerhooto ... /lightbox/
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I have five Grevillea Stds... my first was 'Grassfire' purchased in early 2009 . It was planted in NOT the most ideal spot at the time, ...but it is thriving. The next one was a white one... pic below ( I cannot find the darn tag) ...the next two were 'Royal Mantle' (short STD...now near touching the ground) and finally.. another that once again... I need to look for the name tag. Sorry... I am so disorganised of late... blush blush.

Grevillea Thurs 16 9..2010  080 (Small).jpg
Grevillea Std Sat 4.00 pm 29  8.2009 016 (Small).jpg
Grevillea 'Royal Mantle'  B 18 9..2010 028 (Small).jpg

Despite the cost, my thoughts are...what beautiful and satisfying plants.... I love them.
More please...lol...
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks for that Midgin, your standards are beautiful! I really do like the weeping shape of the wildfire, and the white one (I have no idea what it is either!) - but I am aiming for a shade tree (and a bit of a screen...) - so I am think one of the more rigid ones like your Royal Mantle. Awesome stuff, and I can see the beginning of an addiction! :) May be hard for me to find a 1.5 M standard though...
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 am

Hi Bottletree...that will teach me read more thoroughly. The Grevillea 'Grassfire' is approx 1.5mt high. I shall send you a PM of the nursery from which I purchased some of mine. Best of luck.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:10 pm

The 2nd one is G.curviloba (syn. Biternata). I think the last one is G.Gaudi Chaudi.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 am

I am quite excited, going to Neilsens tomorrow. Will make sure to take a photo of the impressive Grevillea standard! Have ordered 2 tonne of dirt to prepare a garden bed :)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 am

Here are some photos from Neilsens nursery:

I didn't see a name for this one...

I think this is Cooroora cascade:

G. Fanfare

Have some more to upload, ran out of room :)

Neilsens were selling G.x gaudichaudii (hybrid of Laurifolia and some other one) - but I was really hoping I could find the purebred http://anpsa.org.au/g-lau.html Laurifolia as a standard - I thought it might have a similar shape to the Fanfare above, but I do prefer the rounder leaves.
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

BT, did you end up buying one yet? I like the Cooroora Cascade. I also like Laurifolia because of its unusual leaf shape for a grevillea. I don't know if you'll be able to find it as a standard. It's crossed with G. acanthifolia to get Guadichaudi, so I suspect it's G. acanthifolia that gives it the groundcover characteristic. G. laurifolia might give you a ball on a stick rather than an umbrella.

I'm tempted by Billy Bonkers as a standard because the flowers are the same as my Lollypops below. I'm also tempted by G bipinnatifida because I like the unusual leaf shape.

I was disappointed to see a garden centre selling a 1m tall standard unmbrella (bronze rambler style). The cost was $80, but I'd be disappointed if someone bought me one that size...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi GW,

I haven't decided on a standard yet! I actually have spent the last two weekends preparing the bed, planting some other plants (the ornamental ones I mentioned in the grasses thread), and was thinking I'd take in a photo of the bed with me when I go to the nursery.

I am impressed by Cooroora Cascade, but I am thinking I've built up an understory (not quite, its actually set *behind* where the grevilleas will be planted, as opposed to under!) of these weeping looking grasses (Pennisetum alopecuroides (nafray and pinnstripe), also a sterile P.rubra compact), so I am thinking a rigid looking horizontal growth in the standards will be a interesting contrast in form/lines.

I've seen your combination of a yellow flowering plant and a purple plant in one of the other threads, and it's given me ideas :).

The P.rubra has a darkish purple red leaf tip and seed head, so I was thinking either going something of the same colour, or a complimentary colour... according to this colour wheel I was looking at, the contrasting colour is yellow-green. Hmm. That doesn't help me much, unless I wanted contrasting foliage rather than flowers!

Billy bonkers and lollipops are both gorgeous plants, but I fear that my colour scheme around the garden has kind of eliminated any pinkish options :/

Ah - with the Laurifolia I didn't even check to see whether it was a ground-cover or not, I was just so excited by the foliage! But the x gaudiichaudii one was very nice too, and less cascading than Cooroora cascade.... So maybe it is an option? The dark red/purplish new growth might be a good match with the P.rubra.

There have been very few varieties of standards around at my local nurseries, so I haven't rushed to make a decision :) But the garden bed is ready to go when I find the right one (and possibly a second one!). No way would I be buying anything under 1.5M :P
bottletree
Senior Curator

Next

Return to Australian Natives