Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

hi BT
where is the pic of the cherry pie ??????... :wink:

yes they all are so nice, hey.....hm guess we were chinwagging so much you didn't get to see a lot of things..... :D :roll:

look my tenuiloba still has some flowers on...amazing, hey !

P9080024.JPG

and my autumn waterfall getting more and more flowers on.....lovely hey !
P9040033.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi Grevs ;)

I didnt get a great picture of the Cherry Pie - it's alot 'redder' than it is in the picture :?

I love your Tenuiloba and Autumn watefall - they're flowering alot!! We had a very windy afternoon here today -- the standards were moving around alot!
I don't know how I missed so much at your place!! You must have hidden gardens!!

BT

p.s How long was I meant to leave those cuttings of Pink Midget in the plastic bag/pot for? I PM'd Pam but got no reply :(
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 am

bottletree wrote:How long was I meant to leave those cuttings of Pink Midget in the plastic bag/pot for? I PM'd Pam but got no reply :(

:shock: I didn't get it! It must still be floating around in cyberspace.

I'd only potted them the day before you got them, BT, so they're going to take at least 6 weeks to strike. Just keep an eye on them to make sure none are rotting off, and if so, remove them so that they don't infect the others. After that time, you can try very gently tugging at the little plants, and if you have some resistance, you have roots forming. If you try one, and it moves, leave it at that and don't try the others or you will lose the lot.

Once they have rooted, you can gradually remove the bag that's covering them, and then pop them in a shady spot for a while. Just be aware that once the bag is removed you will have to start watering on a regular basis - probably common sense, I know, but safest to mention it. Once you're sure they're well rooted, and theyv'e begun to actively grow you can (and should) gently divide them either into their individual pots, or straight into the garden where you want them to grow.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Pam ;)

It could be that the PM failed, and the silly webpage didn't tell me!!

I wasn't sure if you were away! I checked this morning and they all look good - so I'll leave it for a couple more weeks!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:56 pm

..lol......
sorry BT
think i gave you such an "earbashing" that you totally forgot to look..and remember it was raining..so we must have rushed the whole thing.....
next time am sure we can take a bit more time for all that !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:20 am

grevs1 wrote:next time am sure we can take a bit more time for all that !

Didn't I hear grumblings about hiring a mini next time? :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 am

Pam wrote:
grevs1 wrote:next time am sure we can take a bit more time for all that !

Didn't I hear grumblings about hiring a mini next time? :lol:

I do believe that was suggested by my hubby - but I still think Grevs could fit in just as much!
I remember that you said 6 somethings, so I wasn't sure if it was days or weeks :( They all look happy though, can't wait to put them in the ground!

And Grevs you didn't give me an ear bashing :P I had a great time -- I especially enjoyed the eating cake part ;)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:55 am

hi all
my stenomera is still putting on more flowers..i love it for its very whitish silvery floiage which contrasts so beautifully with its orangy-apricot flowers !!!
P9100072.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:18 pm

It's beautiful! Does it grow big Grevs?
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 pm

grevs1 wrote:...but as you want the rootstock to provide the nutrition it has to be without leaves.... but yes it has to have tiny buds on ,just ready to burst open !!!! as they try to suck up the sap..therefore trying to "heal" the stem as fast as possible !!! so when you cut the leaves off you have to be extra careful not to damage the tiny buds !
best scion material is from a new shoot but not to old and not all green..... semi-hardened
and the rootstock has to be actively growing !!!........

What about the rootstock? Should any leaves be removed? I have lots of growth on the rootstock, but the buds on the scion still aren't growing. If you remove all but a few leaves on the rootstock, will it help the buds suck up the sap?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 am

GoldenWattle wrote:What about the rootstock? Should any leaves be removed? I have lots of growth on the rootstock, but the buds on the scion still aren't growing.

hi GW
yes you have to get rid of all sideshoots on the rootstock ..best just to leave a leaf every 10cm or so to help feed the top !!
good luck ! :wink:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 pm

bottletree wrote:It's beautiful! Does it grow big Grevs?

think it is growing to about 2m or something like this....

and i've got the first flower on my magic wand...!
P9260040.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:37 pm

oh ... forgot to show you my lemondaze mini-standard....

it looks really pretty i think !..and of course i love yellow...... :D
P9240007.JPG
lemon daze
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:12 pm

grevs1 wrote:oh ... forgot to show you my lemondaze mini-standard....

it looks really pretty i think !..and of course i love yellow...... :D
P9240007.JPG

Its a beautiful contrast between the foliage and the bright yellow flowers -- I am very envious :)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm

bottletree wrote:Its a beautiful contrast between the foliage and the bright yellow flowers -- I am very envious :)

Agreed - I love how having it raised off the ground makes the flowers so much more noticeable. It's the main dislike I have of my Bronze Rambler - you hardly notice the flowers - the standard Bronze Rambler looks much better!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:11 pm

i agree with both of you
i also think that most groundcover grevs do look much more appealing on a bit of a stem to show off their blooms..as otherwise they just disappear between the foliage and nobody wants to bend down to the floor if you have the chance to have flowers right in front of ones nose to admire......

i think i will do a mini of that nice winter delight ...... bet it will look lovely like that......hopefully i will have a few to show off here next year .....! :D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 pm

grevs1 wrote:i agree with both of you
i also think that most groundcover grevs do look much more appealing on a bit of a stem to show off their blooms..as otherwise they just disappear between the foliage and nobody wants to bend down to the floor if you have the chance to have flowers right in front of ones nose to admire......

i think i will do a mini of that nice winter delight ...... bet it will look lovely like that......hopefully i will have a few to show off here next year .....! :D

I think the mini winter-delight is a very very good idea ;)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 pm

hi BT
well remind me in 6 months..i may be able to show you one then..... ! :D

meanwhile my pink ice is just getting better and better...this one is a standard ( 1.5m stem) .... love it ! makes a magnificent small tree, doesn't it !?..
P9290019.jpg
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Grevs,

With your pink ice, did you prune it much? :) It looks fantastic! I'm still not overly confident with pruning -- but I suppose I should cut mine back a bit after it flowers...
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:06 pm

hi BT
i only pruned it just after i stuck it in about 1 year ago and haven't touched it since..but i guess i will chop it back hard after it finishes flowering.....!probably half.... to give it a stronger network of branches....

don't be shy pruning grevilleas.....the more you hack them the more flowers you get next flush.....just make sure you slowly get to the shape you want !!!
but don't let pam near it...we call her "edward scissorhands" here....... hahahahaha :lol:
she prunes everything..... no just joking !.... you turn away and half your plant is missing...... :lol: :lol:

but the plants will thank you for it..as especially if you don't want seed (but they do attract the parrots !!) they can put more energy into new growths..... :wink:
grevs1
Head Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives