Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

grevs1 wrote:
don't be shy pruning grevilleas.....the more you hack them the more flowers you get next flush.....just make sure you slowly get to the shape you want !!!
but don't let pam near it...we call her "edward scissorhands" here....... hahahahaha :lol:
she prunes everything..... no just joking !.... you turn away and half your plant is missing...... :lol: :lol:

How do you know? You won't LET me prune anything! Did you trim that synapheae yet? Otherwise I will do it for you - you KNOW it will do it good. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 pm

I will train up on my callistemon, and the have a go at the grevillea.

My Glasshouse Country is flowering now -- you have that too, don't you Pam?
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Yes, it's covered in buds now, and I noticed this morning, so is my Hinchinbrook - first time it has flowered since I planted it 3 or 4 years ago. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 pm

bet you can't wait till the buds opening up !!!..always so exciting !
my little john is just starting...so cute.....
047.JPG

meanwhile i did trim my bronze rambler back hard a few weeks ago.... so it only had a few flowers on but look how bushy and thick it is coming out now !
and we had to put a starpicket next to it as the terrible windgusts we are having nearly toppelt it over a few times....
P9290014.jpg
BZR
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 pm

grevs1 wrote:we had to put a starpicket next to it as the terrible windgusts we are having nearly toppelt it over a few times....

I used a wooden stake and after some heavy winds, I used twine to tie it around the nearby gum tree. Those winds can be terrible!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:55 pm

those winds must been widespread alright !
luckily they seem to have eased of today...hurray !

think i told you guys that one of those gusts did snap my fireworks grevillea clear of........ i sure was devastated !....
it is sooo dry up here and fires are everywhere........ hubby was called out twice over the weekend..they sure had lots on her hands..fighting the fires in that terrible wind....... !!!
everything is drying out so fast.....we sure need rain badly !...today we do have a few clouds coming over..there is hope in sight maybe .....

all my other standards i planted finally in my garden are coming along nicely as i try to keep up the water to them and mulch them heavily..... ! so hopefully they will give me even a better show next season ! :)

this is one of mt new ones..a bon accord..its a low-graft
P9260026.JPG

its very much like the bonfire but small ..think would look ok on a stem as well to form a denser "mini-tree".... as it seems to flower a long time it is making a good show !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 am

Hopefully you got some rain yesterday Grevs and Pam, Brisbane got quite a lot ;)

I agree with you Grevs - Bon Accord would look good as a small tree ;) I realise that some of varieties I ordered from Windyridge probably were best grafted... but I'll see how they go. If it rains too much this year, might find that my Bonfire and Lollypops cark it. :cry:

I put a seed-bell in my bottlebrush tree, and while I haven't seen any birds eating it, someone/thing has been have a nibble... still curious about what eat the seed... hmm. I need some cctv.
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 am

bottletree wrote:Hopefully you got some rain yesterday Grevs and Pam, Brisbane got quite a lot ;)

Not a drop!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:27 pm

hi..well we had about 5 min drizzle...just enough to settle the dust down...... :(
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 pm

hi all
today in one of the gardens we looked at was this lovely mature standard..thought i post it here so you guys can admire a fully grown one of "ruby red"
074.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 am

This one is in my Top 5 of standard grevilleas - it's just lovely! Thanks for sharing this photo. :wink:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 pm

yes this sure is nice....
think all the standards really come into their own if you see a mature one.....!!!!

can't wait for mine to mature..... :D ..... will plant a few more into my paddock........!

GW..whats your other 4 top-ones ?????

boy it is soooooo muggy here at the moment and nearly 30 degrees.......... !! but we are getting a storm shortly i think..its already thundering !
doesn't help that i am trying to polish floors since yesterday and sweating my guts out......... !! good for loosing weight but....hahahaha
who needs a sauna alright..just do renovations in hot weather.....does the same.....! :-).... :lol:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

grevs1 wrote:GW..whats your other 4 top-ones ?????

I'm liable to change my mind, but I can't go past the one I actually bought [bif], so the other three are:

tenuiloba
    billy bonkers
    plurijuga

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:40 pm

thanks GW

good selection..... :D ...i have to say i am quite impressed with the tenuiloba as you saw and it did flower for 5 months....i have to cut it back and give it a good dose of fertilizer to make it grow ..so hopefully next season it will look even more wonderful !..

my friends plurajuga just started flowering and the flowerspikes hang down nearly 1.5m to the ground....wonderful alright !!!!
mine is just starting to put flowerstems down,,so it will be a few weeks before blooms will appear..........
and the billy bonkers just flowers and flowers !

i realised that my red-flowering bif is still alive and actually has a flower hanging off it !! have to take a pic for you.....
i had cut it back to nearly groundlevel (is a low-graft) and it never came back for quite some months, but now....i was really surprised and happy to see it come back to life.....
just shows you ..not throwing stuff out quickly , is sometimes good after all..... :lol:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 pm

look my autumn waterfall mini-standard ( 1m stem) is coming along great..starting to fill out slowly and form a nice head....
its in the ground for nearly 2 years now! i have to say the first year it didn't look flash at all but it sure is improving by the months !

PA190002.JPG
autumn waterfall
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:23 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:I bought a G hookeriana Red Hooks over summer thinking it would be a nice 2m x 2m bush. Little did I know it would eventually become a small tree. When I saw what they look like at maturity, I thought I'd have to remove mine. Then, upon reflection, I thought to myself, [i][color=#0000FF]why not turn the Red Hooks into a standard

I tried a graft with bipinnatifida broad leaf form onto Red Hooks today. I used the parafilm this time instead of grafting tape. After a number of failed attempts, I'm not getting too excited, but the scion had plenty of buds on it, so I'm hopeful.

Pam wrote:I've only seen Ruby Red once (a grafted standard at Bummings) and thought it was lovely. You don't have it, do you Grevs? It might be one to add to the wish list from Changers Green?!

I went to Maranoa Gardens over the Christmas break and saw a Ruby Red and I have to say I thought the flowers looked more pink than red. Quite different to photos I'd seen. I thought the flowers looked more like Pink Candelabra.

I previously posted a photo on this thread of a photo I'd taken at Maranoa Gardens more than a year ago. When I was there over Christmas I looked for a tag which wasn't there when I photographed it - turns out it's a tenuiloba. It wasn't flowering, but it looked amazing back when I photographed it.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:11 pm

That's a gorgeous shot, GW
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Pam wrote:That's a gorgeous shot, GW

Thanks Pam. I'd love to have one as a focal point in the garden... what a gorgeous specimen!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Here is a very belated photo of my grevillea Fanfare standard. It is going very well, and is in the process of flowering again!

bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 am

That's lovely BT. It will be even better when your neighbours decide they're sick of looking at just lawn.
Pam
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives