Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby bottletree » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks Pam!

After two exceptionally hot days one weekend, most of our lawn died off. I am still surprised people don't replace it with something else. But it is a post-war area, so the gardens are quite simple and if not lawn, full of introduced species (with not much variety!).
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

bottletree wrote:Here is a very belated photo of my grevillea Fanfare standard. It is going very well, and is in the process of flowering again!

That's a lovely shape!

I'm a bit disappointed with my standard bif. Mind you, I still haven't done anything about the spider mites on it. I should probably go back and re-read what tips Grevs left for me. In any case, I'm hoping the roots are developing even if the plant isn't doing much above ground...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:39 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:
bottletree wrote:Here is a very belated photo of my grevillea Fanfare standard. It is going very well, and is in the process of flowering again!

That's a lovely shape!

I'm a bit disappointed with my standard bif. Mind you, I still haven't done anything about the spider mites on it. I should probably go back and re-read what tips Grevs left for me. In any case, I'm hoping the roots are developing even if the plant isn't doing much above ground...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

Thanks GW. The fanfare is constantly sending out shoots, I have to trim it all the time.
It's a pity about your standard bif. Mine hasn't grown too much either, but has flowered 2-3 times. The flowers are terrific!

Lauren
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Barbarajoy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm

My husband and I have just had lunch at Neilsen's Native Plant Nursery and were sitting near a most magnificent standard grevillea. When I asked what it was I was told it was Grev Fanfare. I read, Bottletree, that you have to keep trimming yours and was wondering how big it would get if left to its own devices. This one at Neilsen's has a trunk with a diameter of a large side plate. They keep the underneath of it trimmed straight so they can have a display of pots and ornaments under it. If yours grows as big as Neilsen's one it will be quite a head-turner. It's already looking great.
Barbarajoy
Head Gardener

Postby bottletree » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Barbara,

I was inspired by the Fanfare at Neilsens to get the tall Fanfare standard (mine is about 1.6-1.7 metres high). I asked the attendant there about pruning, and he said they pruned it alot to keep it dense and upright. I think if left to its own devices it would grow downwards in a kind of broad bell shape. I wanted it to be similar to the Nielsens one, so I prune it to keep it growing sideways rather than downwards.

Mine has nowhere near the diameter of trunk, but I was told the Nielsens one was at least 10 years old.

I was hoping it would look like the Nielsens one soon, it grows really quickly, and I am surprised how much it has grown in just one year! It also flowers sporadically through the year, with a flourish in winter (if I remember rightly). The birds love it.

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby amalan11 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Can somebody say what the difference is between billy bonkers and lollypop? Apart from a 50cm width difference I cannot work it out.
There is a stunning grevillea up the road and im sure it has to be one of those two but the foliage and flowers look identical on certain sites .The one im admiring has smallish flowers about 10cm if that, but masses vivid pink flowers.
Lollypop seems to have small flowers whereas in some online photos billy bonkers look a bit longer?
Even 3 native nurseries do not know .
Im sure its not Lana Maree its not quite so bright,I have it already
thanks for any help :D
amalan11
Cultivator

Previous

Return to Australian Natives