Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:23 pm

my little bronwenae is only about 80cm high but is flowering quite nicely already !

P7070016.JPG
bronmenea

yes i think most groundcover look more interesting as standards as it brings the flowers close to ones eyes to be admired close up and weeping down a stem or over an enbankment always makes a lovely feature !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:13 pm

I think my Billy Bonkers approach graft has worked. I was being less than careful removing the tape because I was convinced it wasn't going to be successful and I was going to do another attempt as a side graft (which I did with my Lollypops lowgraft just beforehand). After I unwrapped all the tape, I was surprised that it appears to have worked. I guess keeping it inside the bungalow and controling the temperature (to some extent) made the difference (as the Lollypops approach graft didn't work). It doesn't look pretty, but I want to wait a bit longer before I trim the excess.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Woo hoo! Congratulations, GW. You've had one more grafting success than I have. :D

It's not a real pretty graft, but given the greater chance of success for those of us who are a bit scared to jump straight in, it's a great way to build encouragement (and the grevillea collection, of course. :wink:

Once it gains a bit of strength and you decide to give it a bit of a trim, I'd love to see the result.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 pm

congratulations GW.. :lol: :lol:

how wonderful..its such a lovely feeling to make it work, hey !!!! :D
yes looks like it certainly has taken down the bottom and 3/4 up where it callussed out....
and don't worry..it will continue to heal and just keep trimming the "left-over" bits off later neatly....in 6 months it will look pretty good i reckon....post a picture of it then , will you !!!!!
thats great...and yes heat makes things heal much quicker ..the lollypop just was a bit too early when you removed the tape already !!!....

well now you can have more grevilleas everywhere as ..standards... !!! lovely !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Pam wrote:Woo hoo! Congratulations, GW. You've had one more grafting success than I have. :D

Thanks Pam! We all start at one success (if we don't give up). I think you should have another go (and then lots more :lol: ). I agree that it doesn't look neat now, but I've had one of my eukies lose its leader and it eventually shot up a new leader, but out by the same width as the stem below it. When I look at it now, I can hardly tell at all, so I'm optimistic about how my standard will heal in time.

As I mentioned, I removed the Lollypops wedge I attempted after the approach graft failed and I did a side graft instead this afternoon. If it works, I think it'll be a lot neater and if I can get success with it, I think I'll adopt that as my preferred method.

grevs1 wrote:how wonderful..its such a lovely feeling to make it work, hey !!!! :D

It's a real buzz Grevs! As soon as I realised it had worked, I wanted to share it with everyone! It's only been 6 weeks, so it took quite quickly. Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a bit more time to heal before I trim off the excess. How long do you think I should wait before I remove the understock branches and leaves?

I have about 6 more Robustas around the garden (2 of which I potted up into 25cm pots) all about 20cm tall. I wish I could have a constant supply, but I don't control how many seeds fall into the garden and germinate. I've tried harvesting seeds in the past, but usually any seed pods I've gotten my hands on have been empty. Maybe I should buy a seed packet and see how many I can get to germinate. The funny thing is, I haven't got the space to put all the standards I'm dreaming about, but it doesn't seem to deter my ambition... :lol:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm

but the standards don't really take that much room ..you can always stick a few in lovely big glazed pots..they do alright there as well !!!....
and as i can cram over 30 grevilleas in my frontgarden..am sure you find a few more nice spots.... hahaha :lol:

my purple haze is just starting to put out new shoots everywhere....so hopefully the new flowerstems are following shortly.... can't wait to get some decent flowers this year as this is only the second year !
but i just love the reddish new growths anyway....gives the plant an overall different look, doesn't it !

P7090076.JPG
new growths of the purple haze
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:36 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:
As I mentioned, I removed the Lollypops wedge I attempted after the approach graft failed and I did a side graft instead this afternoon. If it works, I think it'll be a lot neater and if I can get success with it, I think I'll adopt that as my preferred method.

I attempted a wickhamii a couple of weeks ago, but didn't really hold much hope for it as I couldn't get the tape to stretch enough to hold it tight enough. Sure enough when i checked it yesterday the scion was long gone, so I headed out today to reuse the stock to attempt a lollipops ...... not too many reasonably new stems that didn't have heaps of flower buds coming on, and I wrecked the only two hopefuls I could find. So I've attempted a royal mantle and an intricata today - here's hoping! Oh, and wait until you see what I did to our Silky Oak on the weekend ......
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Pam wrote: wait until you see what I did to our Silky Oak on the weekend ......

SO.jpg

It was probably 15 or 20 metres high when we first came nearly 5 years ago (where has the time gone?) and was a threat to the house so we lopped it to about 8. I got hubby to take it down a bit further a couple of times last year, to enable me to be able to prune it from the ground with a pole trimmer, to keep it in check. The last cut back, to around 3 m was to bare wood, and it recovered brilliantly after a few weeks.

I've come to realise with all this talk of propagation that it has some potential for propagating material, but the apical shoots were still way to high to be able to get to even from a ladder, so as soon as I spotted hubby with the chainsaw on the weekend, I got him to knock it off to around 1.5 metres, before he'd had time to think about it. :twisted: He worked out pretty well straight away why I was asking him to do it, but did so anyway, quite happily. He must be mellowing. :mrgreen:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Pam wrote:I attempted a wickhamii a couple of weeks ago, but didn't really hold much hope for it as I couldn't get the tape to stretch enough to hold it tight enough. Sure enough when i checked it yesterday the scion was long gone, so I headed out today to reuse the stock to attempt a lollipops ...... not too many reasonably new stems that didn't have heaps of flower buds coming on, and I wrecked the only two hopefuls I could find. So I've attempted a royal mantle and an intricata today - here's hoping! Oh, and wait until you see what I did to our Silky Oak on the weekend ......

I've seen people do similar things and yes, they do send up new shoots. I was trying to remove a melia azederach last spring and I cut it down to about 2m. It repeatedly shot out new shoots. In the autumn I had a mate come round with a chainsaw to cut down at ground level... so far no re-growth.

As for your RM and Intricata, I hope they take for you. It would be fantastic if a few of us were able to have success with it! I've got a number of species I'd like to try to make standards out of - just a matter of letting the Robustas grow to the right height first. These are the ones I'm keen on:

Tenuiloba
    Bipinnafitida
    Plurijuga
    Banksii Forsterii Ruby Red
    Magic Lantern
    Laurifolia

I also think I'd like to have a Bush Lemon in the back garden, so I might try a low graft with that.

I now have the challenge of finding a spot in the garden for the Billy Bonkers I used to do the approach graft. I already have a Lollypops in the back garden, so I thought the front would be a better spot for it. I'm starting to re-think some of the plants I've got - whether I want to keep them or make room for other plants I like better. At the same time, I do want to keep the garden diverse and not have a garden that's purely filled with grevilleas. Hmmm - decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm

I've only seen Ruby Red once (a grafted standard at Bummings) and thought it was lovely. You don't have it, do you Grevs? It might be one to add to the wish list from Changers Green?!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 am

about ruby red......
yes i do have it..but i don't have the white prostrate one !.....
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 am

Grevs, I was wandering around looking at Grevilleas yesterday, and got to thinking -

SO.jpg

Is there any reason as this reshoots why I couldn't use shoots of different lengths to graft layers of different grevilleas onto it?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 am

Umm, that's assuming that I eventually manage to get the knack of grafting of course. lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:52 am

hi pam !!!

well i can't see any reason why not....just till they have taken very well but you have to keep them sort of even in vigour....till each of them gets equal sap

you might select 3 or 4 different shoots with different heights and graft onto them !!
as your rootstock sure is big enough...hahaha..to handle quite a few new branches !!!!
definitely worth trying !!! will look super-spectacular !!!!!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

I might be after some suggestions for appropriate plants when the time comes Grevs.

I'd have to give some thought to what colour scheme I was going to go with I suppose.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 pm

that sounds wonderful..so tell your tree to hurry up !!!!
maybe even a mixture of weeping and upright things ???????..there are just tooo many choices for this "adventure"...lol....the bind boggles !!!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

grevs1 wrote:maybe even a mixture of weeping and upright things ???????..!

That's what I was thinking - something very weeping at the base, up to probably still prostrate(ish) but stiffer, and then something small but maybe upright at the top.

Picture something like nudiflora topped by Wendy's Sunsine with something short but dense on top, or for yellow rather than red, something like tenuiloba, with maybe formosa in the middle layer and a yellow version of something like fireworks at the top. Or for pink, ..... I think you get the picture. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:58 am

that sounds very exiting....
the only problem....decisions, decisions...lol

my suggestions maybe ....
for yellow colour-sceme: tenuilobas =bottom, lasseters gold for middle and maybe lemon-daze for top or formosa
for red: nudis for bottoms, juniperinas(red) for middle and deua for top
or whitish: curviloba ; ivory whip for middle and synaphea for top

guess..only your imagination is the limit...hahahaha
am sure you come up with something wonderful ! (Y) (Y)
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:59 am

I bought a G hookeriana Red Hooks over summer thinking it would be a nice 2m x 2m bush. Little did I know it would eventually become a small tree. When I saw what they look like at maturity, I thought I'd have to remove mine. I thought the location would be good for a standard grevillea. Then, upon reflection, I thought to myself, why not turn the Red Hooks into a standard? Normally grafting is done onto Robusta, but the only real criteria is for the understock to be hardy - which Red Hooks certainly seems to be - and it has a single leader. So after the spring growth, I think I'll try to have a go of it. Does anyone think it won't work?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:20 am

There's no reason at all why it won't work, GW. My only recommendation would be to remove any branches from the upright asap so as to encourage a nice smooth stem on your standard
Pam
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives