Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:13 am

1m standards might be alright in a terraced or sloping site at eye level, but pretty well hopeless for a weeping plant otherwise.

I found this little gem while searching for some possible options:

http://www.fairhill.com.au/fairhillVIEW ... ?start=276
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 am

It's funny you should show that page Pam - the first thing I saw was Grevillea banksii alba, and I saw two standards of these at a local nursery chain. I was surprised to see that particular one at the shop! I did ring up Fairhill a couple of weeks ago, and I think they were doing about 6-8 varieties as standards, and I don't think I they listed anything I hadn't seen sold locally (ie. within 20 minutes drive).

A friend of mine said they sometimes sell Fairhill plants at Bunnings, and they bought a standard from there... but I doubt they get them in much. Plus, my two local bunnings were flooded in January :(

Don't know how I am going to transport the plants home though...
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 am

Grevillea banksii alba

Not the most stunning plant to turn into a standard, I wouldn't have thought, but to each his own, I guess.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am

Pam wrote:
Grevillea banksii alba

Not the most stunning plant to turn into a standard, I wouldn't have thought, but to each his own, I guess.

My thoughts exactly. Was weird growing, looked like reindeer antlers :P
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:15 pm

I went to Weeping Grevillea nursery yesterday and saw some varieties I'd found on the net and they didn't disappoint. G Tenuiloba looks stunning and is on the Australis list which a lot of people refer to. I think I'd opt for that one over Cooroora Cascade. G Thelemanniana also looks superb when in full bloom, but I'm not sure how long it flowers - the ground cover I have doesn't tend to flower very long. There was a G Bipinnafitada in the garden that looked splendid. There was a clearance of some stock (including narrow leafed bipinnafitida, but not the broad leafed) and I couldn't help feeling doubtful about the health of those plants. They were being sold at 50% off. Many of them were covered in spider webs and had branches that were dying. The non-clearance stock looked generally healthy.

I saw that they had non-grafted G Stenomera, but the flowers didn't look anywhere near as pretty as I saw on Australis.

I talked to the owner and found out that he does wedge grafts. The strike rate for successful grafts is about 20%. Given the care required to grow a Silky Oak to 2m before doing a graft and that the breeder can expect to lose 4 out of 5 plants, I can now understand why they're as expensive as they are. In a nursery environment, they wouldn't be likely to use approach grafts because of the requirement for extra space. When I attempt my grafts, the chance of success should be significantly higher.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby brill » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Which nursery did you go to, GW
brill
Senior Curator

Postby karyn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I held off reading these posts coz I knew they'd make me green with envy! I can only have grafted Billy Bonkers and Lollipops here, and even then they run a very real risk of dying in the frosts. For those who like Bronze Rambler and Gaudi Chaudi, have a look at G. Bedspread too. Stoooopid name, but a really good grevillea.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm

I know the feeling Karyn - it's very easy to spend money on the garden, with a such a great variety of grevilleas... I think I am going to get one grev. fanfare. Still deciding on the second standard, looking for something with less breadth, maybe curviloba, or grassfire, or G Tenuiloba as suggested by GW - by the way GW, how wide was the G Tenuiloba at the nursery? I like the look of G Bipinnafitada, but it sounds like it would be quite big...

I did get in contact with Australis, it sounds like they are predominantly stocking their ornamentals in NSW and VIC. They did say Neilsens may have some of their plants... but I have seen a fairly limited range of standards there. I am considering driving out to Toowoomba to see the Australis nursery for myself... They do have so many varieties... :-?
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 pm

brill wrote:Which nursery did you go to, GW

Look up Weeping Grevillea nursery on Google Brill... It should be the first listed item on the search. They supply Kuranga with Standard Grevilleas, they're Melbourne's most reputed native nursery. I don't think many people would visit the actual nursery. I go purely because it's a short drive through scenic countryside.

karyn wrote:I held off reading these posts coz I knew they'd make me green with envy! I can only have grafted Billy Bonkers and Lollipops here, and even then they run a very real risk of dying in the frosts. For those who like Bronze Rambler and Gaudi Chaudi, have a look at G. Bedspread too. Stoooopid name, but a really good grevillea.

I get frost here in the north-east suburbs of Melbourne too. Local nurseries still sell grevilleas which are considered tropical - like G Honey Gem which aren't grafted. I planted one in May and it survived the winter and my G Kay Williams has been going strong for a couple of years now. Since the standards are all on G Robusta rootstock, I'd expect them to be fairly frost hardy. I'm partial to brush flowers over spider flowers and toothbrush are lowest on the list for me. I'd love to have something like a Ruby Red (G Banksii Forsterii prostrate), but I'm concerned it wouldn't do well in this climate (ironic since I mentioned earlier that all standards should be hardy due to their rootstock). The thing is, when you go to nurseries around Melbourne, you don't tend to see G. Banksii (Forster or Albi), which is a shame because IMO the flower colour of Banksii Forster is nicer than Robyn Gordon. It's hard to know if you don't see it because it doesn't do well locally or if the demand isn't there. Truth be told, most people tend to grow Superb or Robyn Gordon, so I reckon anything else would stand out. I'm hoping the G Banksii seeds I bought will end up germinating because I'd love to have one in the garden (might need to attempt a low graft though).

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm

bottletree wrote:Still deciding on the second standard, looking for something with less breadth, maybe curviloba, or grassfire, or G Tenuiloba as suggested by GW - by the way GW, how wide was the G Tenuiloba at the nursery? I like the look of G Bipinnafitada, but it sounds like it would be quite big...

The bipinnatifida they had in their garden was about 1.5m tall and 1m breadth, so probably not as big as what you were expecting. Personally, I love the pendulous flowers similar to Wisteria. As for the Tenuiloba, I suspect it would get to 2m wide or more. One of the branches coming from the top extended out 1m and I reckon it would have branches the same length out the other side. It's a stunner though, but I'm partial to yellow flowers. My favourite grevillea flowers are Honey Gem (Bush Lemon comes close), Banksii Forsterii, and Lollypops.

BTW, I believe I saw G Laurifolia on the Kuranga price list, so the next time I'm there, I'll be quite keen to see if I can find it. I can't say I remember seeing it (and I tend to look over their entire selection).

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 pm

You have intrigued me GW - if you could get a photo of G. Laurifolia, I would be most appreciative :) But I am thinking, G. Fanfare is the wide grevillea standard I was looking for.

I am glad that Bipinnafitada is smaller than I thought, the leaf colour is perfect for what I need, and it has such lovely, unusual flowers.

I might try and order Bipinnafitada and Fanfare. Thanks heaps for that GW.

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

bottletree wrote:You have intrigued me GW - if you could get a photo of G. Laurifolia, I would be most appreciative :)

I should point out that it's not a standard BT. I'm interested in it regardless because of the leaf shape. How many people would expect to see grevillea flowers on a plant that looks like a Bay Tree? I kind of like G Rhyolitica aka Deua for the same reason. It's not as common in gardens as the most popular handful of varieties.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Ah. Well it still looks like a lovely and usual tree, given the big laurel-like leaves and and the deep red flowers. Very interesting! Here http://anpsa.org.au/g-lau.html it says it is a prostrate shrub (Laurifolia). I don't think I could fit any more big shrubs in my yard...

karyn wrote:I held off reading these posts coz I knew they'd make me green with envy! I can only have grafted Billy Bonkers and Lollipops here, and even then they run a very real risk of dying in the frosts. For those who like Bronze Rambler and Gaudi Chaudi, have a look at G. Bedspread too. Stoooopid name, but a really good grevillea.

I actually bought two ground covers to plug up gaps in the garden, and I thought I had bought G. Bedspread - but it was G. carpet layer(not to be confused with Carpet Queen)... so many furnishing-related names makes it hard to discern which one is which! I had to double check the name :P Ah well :) Hopefully Carpet Layer flowers well (it's name doesn't seem that appealing to me!).
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby karyn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

G Rhyolitica is doing well in my garden. :D
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:13 am

GW, I just had quick peek at the stock list of the people you mentioned. If you have a maximum height restriction, don't put too much trust in the heights they mention. For instance, Honey Gem will get to significantly more than 2metres.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Pam wrote:GW, I just had quick peek at the stock list of the people you mentioned. If you have a maximum height restriction, don't put too much trust in the heights they mention. For instance, Honey Gem will get to significantly more than 2metres.

The one I bought 9 months ago was already 1.5m tall at the time. I believe they put indicative heights for the local climate, as I know they grow much taller in tropical areas. The tag that came with mine indicated 3m tall by 2m wide, but I suspect that tag might be used country-wide. I have no issues with my honey gem getting bigger. I'm impatient to get a display of more than 1 or 2 flowers every 3-4 months. It just needs more time to bush out. I think Honey Gem is one of the nicest grevilleas going. If you've got a photo of a mature Honey Gem in full bloom, I'd love to see a photo... =p~

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

I ended up buying Fanfare and Grassfire (mostly because bipinnatifida was not available...) - they are being delivered next week!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:31 am

Here are some photos of the two, very recently planted standards!

I ordered a Fanfare (closest to fence), and Grassfire... but the label on the one I expected to be Grassfire said 'Poorinda Royal Mantle' - but I think that is a mistake... doesn't look Royal Mantle to me. Anyhow, happy with it anyway. The Fanfare already has flower buds all over it :)

I think they are in the vicinity of 1.5 - 1.8M tall.
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm

They look good BT - as they mature, I'm sure they'll get lots of flowers!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Just curious - when you stake your trees GW - do you make your own slings (between stake and tree) or do you buy them? My standards are a bit top heavy, and I am having a little trouble keeping them straight.

I bought a staking kit (small stakes, more like anchoring to the ground than the stakes that vertically hold the tree in place) from the B store, however these are still allowing the standards to move... and making them any tighter will most likely injure the trunk of the standard...
bottletree
Senior Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives