Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Pam wrote:My only recommendation would be to remove any branches from the upright asap so as to encourage a nice smooth stem on your standard

Thanks for the tip Pam :wink:
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am

I was just looking up G. hookeriana, and it says its 1x 3 (well, Changers green says that). But on the ANPS site it says 'Red Hooks' is not the same as Hookeriana! I quite like the colours of the G. hookeriana on ANPS, reminds me of Plum Crazy.
http://anpsa.org.au/g-hoo.html
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

hi BT

yes you are right....there seem to be a lot of "different" hookerianas out there......as i just googled it also.....
hmm..but the "normal" one we all know seems to be the big one to 3m and higher..
but the varieties are quite substantial as it seems and also the colour-variation....?? guess there are lots of subspecies and one of them is 'red hooks" i guess............

as you were reminded of plum-crazy..just took a nice pic for you..lol.as mine is out in full flower....
P7180027.JPG

and also my "new blood" just burst into full blooms......this one is a total prostrate one..would look lovely on any height stem !

P7180024.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Awesome photos Grevs :)

I can't decide which one I want :)

Do you plant your standards in a mound/raised bed? Or straight into the ground?
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:16 pm

grevs1 wrote:as you were reminded of plum-crazy..just took a nice pic for you..lol.as mine is out in full flower....

When I look at the flower, it makes me think of creme brulee. :wink: I've never seen Plum Crazy down here...

grevs1 wrote:and also my "new blood" just burst into full blooms......this one is a total prostrate one..would look lovely on any height stem !

It looks fabulous! They do sell this one down here as a ground cover. In general, I find the selection of standard grevilleas quite poor in nurseries.There would probably only be handful of people in the country who have the breadth of selection you've got Grevs :wink:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

hi GW
well a lot of the big nurseries just want one or two varieties as they do want to have a quick and sure turnaround..like everybody wants lots of royal mantles...well they are lovely but yes i agree ...different ones should be more available..as not everyone wants the same stuff, hey..like us "mad enthusiasts"..... lol !!!!! :lol:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 pm

bottletree wrote:

no i don't bottletree...just like any other normal plant..straight into the ground but i normally just mix a bit of mix in with the soil to give them a good start with a nice loose soil and add a handful of fertiliser.....and then mulch.....!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

grevs1 wrote:
bottletree wrote:

no i don't bottletree...just like any other normal plant..straight into the ground but i normally just mix a bit of mix in with the soil to give them a good start with a nice loose soil and add a handful of fertiliser.....and then mulch.....!

Great :) I have spots for some standards, but didn't see an easy way to build a mound up (without it looking a bit silly).... so that gives me a lot of options!

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:When I look at the flower, it makes me think of creme brulee......

hahahaha..trust you to think about food..looking at flowers..... :lol:

but yes it is a very nice one alright !!! the flowers are unusual in colour !..love different stuff !
and as you like holy-leaved things....do you know this one ????? nice as well....
even the flowers are only 2-3 cm and hidden away , they are lovely double-coloured..
but really, it's the foliage which makes this one a very nice standard anyway...what do you think ??

P7180097-1.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 pm

grevs1 wrote:and as you like holy-leaved things....do you know this one ????? nice as well....
even the flowers are only 2-3 cm and hidden away , they are lovely double-coloured..
but really, it's the foliage which makes this one a very nice standard anyway...what do you think ??

Very nice indeed. I like the flowers that have more than one colour! I'll be pleased when my Peaches & Cream starts to flower. It's put on growth (although it's still a small shrub), but no signs of flowering yet...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Sorry to annoy you, GW...mine hasn't stopped flowering once it was established! Be patient... it will happen.

The watched grevillea never flowers...
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Sam wrote:Sorry to annoy you, GW...mine hasn't stopped flowering once it was established! Be patient... it will happen.

The watched grevillea never flowers...

No worries Sam - it's good to hear the experiences of others. :D I just wonder if it's a climate thing. I've had mine for 2½ years and it does seem to have a distinct flowering period. You're in QLD, so that answers my previous question about how it grows up north - obviously quite well 8) . Maybe mine will magically continue flowering at some stage, but I don't expect that to happen.

By the way, how big is yours? Mine is about 1m x 1m, but according to the tag it can grow to 2.5m x 2.5m. Do you have a photo of it in full bloom?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 am

good morning....
sorry have to barge into your conversation...sam/GW.......

well my P+C started flowering from when it was about 50cm tall..and like sams....mine hasn't really stopped flowering either....and it is about 1m tall but not wide as it still has only one main-leader at the moment !.....
so i reckon yours is really taken its time alright !..... maybe you have to convince it a bit more.... :lol: ...maybe an extra dose of seasol or something will do the trick !?......
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 am

hi GW again

just quickly went outside and took a pic of the P+C for you..even its not in full flower..just a couple are open but lots of buds are on !.....
P7200002.JPG
peaches and cream 20/7/11
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I think I got my conversations mixed up. I thought Sam was talking about Canberra Gem. That's the one which only flowers for me in winter (but allegedly flowers all year). I only planted the P+C in March and I'm not putting too much pressure on it to perform in just a few months. I know they're reliable performers.

By the way, I got my cutting of Synaphea - I hope it'll strike roots...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:22 pm

happens to the best of us... :lol:
hope your synaphea cutting will strike....maybe you should have grafted a piece !! it takes quite ok !.... :)

look my Gin Gin Gem standard is still pushing more and more buds out...it will be totally smothered in flowers when they all open !!!

P7180089.JPG
P7180083.JPG
close-up flower of gin gin gem
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Another gorgeous specimen Grevs!

Oh and BTW, I was planting a chorizema cordatum in the front garden this afternoon and when I finished I was looking at some of the other plants and I noticed a number of flower buds on the P+C. :mrgreen: I'm not sure how long they'll take to open, but it's an encouraging sign. My Bronze Rambler and Hookeriana both have flower buds on it, as does my Bush Lemon (which just don't seem to want to open - they've been there about 3 months+). My Honey Gem has 2 flower buds on it - the trend seems to be 2 flowers every 4 or 5 months... not the most prolific flowerer, unfortunately.

Do you think I might get better performance out of a grafted Honey Gem? I'm at a loss because Kay Williams is considered frost tender and it thrives in my garden. I also would have thought that if grafting would make it more reliable, it there would be grafted ones available to buy. I can find both grafted and ungrafted bipinnafitida (I opted to buy the grafted one), so I can't see why they wouldn't sell grafted Honey Gem if it makes it more reliable. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 am

hi GW
well about grafted versus ungrafted.........
normally grafted ones can handle more soil-conditions and thrive in different places as for ungrafted ones, one has to have more species-related soil-conditions as we know........ i am surprised to hear that especially the honey gem doesn't seem to perform as well as it should....??? don't really think its the cold...?
but in generell i find....even they can survive in very hardy conditions, if you give them plenty of water and more often some fertiliser they will burst out in flowers so much better !!!! like us..we can live on "bread and water" but get fat on big smorgas-boards ... :lol: :lol:
a friend of mine gives them a handful of fertiliser every month during winter..and her grevilleas surely couldn't push up any more flowers as they seem to do !..totally smothered in flowers !!!!!...even i give mine a handful now and then of NPK ( which is for macas) and they seem to get a good burst out of it !.....and yes they DO love water !!!!! as long the drainage is good they are lapping it up ! and my other friend gives them every 2-3 weeks a diluted dose of "aquasol" !!!..and i thought ..OMG !!! but i tell you , hers are absolutely thriving and her flowers are double as big as normal...so there you go !!!!!...... :-? :shock: (Y)
but of course one shouldn't overdoing either.....my advise is to give them a small dose first and a good deep watering and see if they respond and go from there ! :D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:52 pm

grevs1 wrote:but in generell i find....even they can survive in very hardy conditions, if you give them plenty of water and more often some fertiliser they will burst out in flowers so much better !!!!

Water isn't an issue Grevs. I water regularly in summer (I have a dedicated water tank) and there's no need to water in winter (since it rains a lot).

This brings us to fertilising. I stick to Low P ferts for grevilleas and the only ones I've seen for sale are the slow release granular ferts. The issue with those is that they're triggered by soil temp, so they're useless from mid-autumn to mid-spring. I give most of my plants Seasol root tonic, but that's not a fertiliser. I have Seasol Power Feed, but I thought that would have been too high in P. I could also try worm juice, but I've struggled to find any information on the P levels in that (and I've searched extensively). Interestingly enough, I read in Don Burke's book that it's the toothbrush flowering grevilleas that are most susceptible to P toxicity. It might be a case that the brush flowered grevilleas are much less sensitive than we are lead to believe...

grevs1 wrote:even i give mine a handful now and then of NPK ( which is for macas) and they seem to get a good burst out of it !

Sorry Grevs, I didn't quite catch the product name. Is there a specific Brand name?

grevs1 wrote:my other friend gives them every 2-3 weeks a diluted dose of "aquasol" !!!..and i thought ..OMG !!! but i tell you , hers are absolutely thriving and her flowers are double as big as normal...so there you go !!!!!

Is aquasol a similar kind of product to Seasol or Charlie Carp? When you say diluted, how diluted are we talking? Half the regular concentration? A quarter? Less? I suppose I could experiment, but I'd prefer not to lose any plants, so advice is much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

I decided to use some Seasol Power feed on all my brush flower grevilleas this afternoon. The normal indications on the bottle are 350ml to 9L of water for seedlings and 700ml for established plants. I decided to dose at 175ml for 9L. I'll re-post on the subject if I notice any changes - good or bad...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives