Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

hi GW

well about the fertilisers...... the brandname is "nitrophoska" i think its spelled....its not a slow-release.... i mix it 50/50 with native tropical-osmocote....as it has a slow start up ...the NPK is giving it instant "umpf" as i call it, till the osmocote kicks in....... but only on established plants
and to the measurements ..well i think my friend puts about half of the recommended dosage of seasol on......
and i use wormjuice on all my grevilleas quite regularly..every 4-6 weeks or so..........i put about 1/2 cup ..guess about 100ml to 10l of water......so it looks like weak tea......! another one of my friends did that for years to all her garden including all her grevilleas........... guess that's the best i can do for measurements.... :oops: :(
and with seasol....well i have a concentrate of seeweed-solution.....think its about 1ml per litre but have to look that up .....
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

grevs1 wrote:hi GW

well about the fertilisers...... the brandname is "nitrophoska" i think its spelled....its not a slow-release.....

Nitrophoska does actually produce a slow release fertiliser, Grevs. I'm wondering if the one you're referring to might be nitrophoska blue?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 am

Can't say I've ever seen Nitrophoska. Maybe they sell different products in different parts of the country... :?
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Here is a quick pic of the Fanfare in full flower, its more pink than green now. Truly beautiful!!

And being a bit self-indulgent, but saw several flowers on one branch in a row :)

bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm

oh wow...BT

your fanfare sure looks spectacular in flower now !!!!!! was worth the wait, wouldn't you say !!!!! :lol:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes, I think it was a sound investment! Such a lovely tree! I think the 1.8M stem gives it that extra impact!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 pm

It looks awesome BT. :mrgreen: I hope I'll be able to get one looking that good... Although - an investment? Didn't you pay $35 for it? Talk to me about an investment when you pay $140 for one (the going rate down here). :lol: I paid $40 for my low graft Lollypops and $35 for my Bush Lemon - I guess Billy Bonkers was a bargain at $18. If I could buy standards for $35, I'd already have a few. I'm so jealous! =p~

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:50 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:It looks awesome BT. :mrgreen: I hope I'll be able to get one looking that good... Although - an investment? Didn't you pay $35 for it? Talk to me about an investment when you pay $140 for one (the going rate down here). :lol: I paid $40 for my low graft Lollypops and $35 for my Bush Lemon - I guess Billy Bonkers was a bargain at $18. If I could buy standards for $35, I'd already have a few. I'm so jealous! =p~

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

The only standards I could get from Australis were considered the 'mature' ones, so $60 each, and I got them delivered.... so in the end, it was about $85 for each standard :? I think they might be cheaper for the smaller ones, but I don't think they commonly let the public order plants... so I took whatever I could get :)

I would have alot more standards if I could get them for $30 :)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 am

GoldenWattle wrote:It looks awesome BT. :mrgreen: I hope I'll be able to get one looking that good... Although - an investment? Didn't you pay $35 for it? Talk to me about an investment when you pay $140 for one (the going rate down here). :lol:

I guess the amount of 'spare' cash you have available really defines what is an investment to each individual, GW. Even at $35 I'd have to justify to myself, let alone anyone else buying too many of any plant.

Having said that, the way I see it, any standard at whatever price is an investment, simply because they're so special - certainly not something you'd poke in at the back of the garden and forget about.

I have placed an advance order with Changers Green for 4 nudiflora standards, based entirely on the planting that Neilsens has in their car park - absolutely stunning!! It will be a while before they happen, though, as they won't even be grafted until Spring.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 am

Pam wrote:
GoldenWattle wrote:Having said that, the way I see it, any standard at whatever price is an investment, simply because they're so special - certainly not something you'd poke in at the back of the garden and forget about.

Agreed on all points Pam. I was being facetious. I certainly value my Lollypops which I paid $40 for more than the Yamba Sunshine which I got for $7. The one flowers all the time and the other has yet to flower...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:52 am

Pam wrote:
GoldenWattle wrote:It looks awesome BT. :mrgreen: I hope I'll be able to get one looking that good... Although - an investment? Didn't you pay $35 for it? Talk to me about an investment when you pay $140 for one (the going rate down here). :lol:

I guess the amount of 'spare' cash you have available really defines what is an investment to each individual, GW. Even at $35 I'd have to justify to myself, let alone anyone else buying too many of any plant.

Having said that, the way I see it, any standard at whatever price is an investment, simply because they're so special - certainly not something you'd poke in at the back of the garden and forget about.

I have placed an advance order with Changers Green for 4 nudiflora standards, based entirely on the planting that Neilsens has in their car park - absolutely stunning!! It will be a while before they happen, though, as they won't even be grafted until Spring.

I love the Nudiflora standards at Neilsens, good choice Pam!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:22 am

so just to tie you over till you get your nudies...pam..........
here is another pic of my curly-leaved one which to my amazement is still putting on more and more flowers !.....
Attachments
P7230012.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 am

GoldenWattle wrote:Agreed on all points Pam. I was being facetious.

Yes I know. :twisted: A few members who know me though will tell you I never miss a chance to have a dig. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reminder of your nudi, Grevs. If it ever goes missing, don't blame me. :roll: :roll: ... and besides, you don't know where I live. :lol: :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

hahahaha..very funny..pam

well i know where you are if i find a tall nudi in the front-garden..... :lol:

just have to post another pic of the gingin gem.....it is just getting better and better...it really couldn't get any more flowers on even if it wanted to, hey !!!
..totally lovely i think !!!!!

P7230032.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:29 pm

oh and i forgot...
especially for you BT as a teaser..as you can't decide which grafted grevillea you'd like.....!
grafts.jpg
different grafted grevilleas
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 am

I suppose I should say 'thanks' for that Grevs? :P Meanie!

Yes, I'm very much undecided about which ones to get... also, hubby says where shall they go?... hehehe.

Might have to win him over with some mini-standards...
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 pm

today i got a better picture from the lana marie in full flower
and the magic lantern as a mini-standard...
in front of our house !....
Attachments
P7260089.JPG
july 29th
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:47 pm

hi all

well spring must be just around the corner !!!! what a lovely day today, wasn't it !!!
look even my stenomera is putting on more flowers already !!..it just has the best contrast between the silver foliage and the bright apricot flowers..... i really love this one !!!!

P7300032.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 pm

just have to post another pic of the magic lantern, as it is just totally smothered in blooms right now....
truly outstanding, isn't it !!!!!

and my snaphea finally is opening up all those lovely sweet scented flowers as well !!! :lol:

P8050078-1.JPG
august 11

P8050016.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

grevs1 wrote:look even my stenomera is putting on more flowers already !!..it just has the best contrast between the silver foliage and the bright apricot flowers..... i really love this one !!!!

This is one that caught my eye over the summer (on the internet, as opposed to in the flesh). On a visit to Weeping Grevillea, I saw some, but I believe it was a different form to what I found on the net. I do find the flowers exquisite. I'm assuming it's more of an upright bush like Fireworks than a weeper or spreading g/c?

I also find the M/L splendid in full bloom and I was quite surprised by how small the flowers are on synaphea...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives