Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:15 pm

]Hi all :)

i just joined this page and would like to hopefully contribute in a helpful way !

got hooked on grevilleas a few years back myself and want to have them all..... lol........
first i'd like to tell you that australisplants IS doing grevilleas but had relocations and set-backs and the floods to deal with..so i guess it'll will take time to recover from all that !!!!........

as you can see i have this wonderful grevillea standard ..i just love it ! and it flowers for most of the year here.... this one hasn't stopped since october last year !
and the more you trim it back the more flowers come out......... just lovely !!
PB290015.JPG
"deua" on 900mm stem

and to the lady who wants to achieve a mushroom shaped standard..... you have to trim it back hard for a couple of years to the length you want ..then the new shoots come out on top and slowly form the desired mushroom shape.... so you have to be patient to achieve that one !..... but surely worth the effort !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Welcome grevs1. :) It certainly is stunning as a standard.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:18 pm

thank you very much for the nice welcome ..
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Grevs1, and thanks for posting the pic of the lovely grevillea Deua standard ;)

I am the one trying to acheive the mushroom shaped standard, so I will try pruning it back a bit. I was thinking Fanfare was meant to flower all year, but it has had flower buds on it (well I think they are) that have been dormant for a while now.

I will cut it back and give it some seasol to encourage the mushroom like growth. Thanks alot!

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:46 am

hope everybody enjoying a glorious sunday as we have up here !!! just in for a cuppa after trimming my standards back..they look sooooo much better.....hope i can attach a pic ....
P5080046.JPG

mine have all buds on and i hope they flower soon !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Sun May 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Your standards are beautiful! Did you prune them once a year from when they were first planted, or did you prune them several times initially, and then once a year?
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 pm

hi
thanks........... well i have to confess that this is actually the first time i gave them a proper haircut....the shoots were grown into the ground and we couldn't spray around them anymore ..hence the weeds !!!! hmmmm
now we can see and they have some dead stuff inside i chopped out......... so hopefully they keep on flourishing !!!...
they are probably still in shock.... lol.........
when i planted them they had about shoots 50cm long..so they done well in 2 1/2 years..we have drippers on them and water them about every fortnight if it is very hot..... but we have had more than enough rain..so don't think i needed to water them the last 1/2 year or so !!!... attach a pic of one of my young ones !!! this is one of my favorites.....!!
Attachments
grafts (93).JPG
this is my young tenuiloba..i just love this one !!!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun May 15, 2011 6:51 pm

grevs1 wrote:attach a pic of one of my young ones !!! this is one of my favorites.....!!

I can see why it's on your list of favs - it's at the top of my list of standards. I was hoping to find the ground cover so I could graft it myself, but it's not common in nurseries in the Melbourne area. I can buy it as a standard from Weeping Grevillea nursery in Kangaroo Ground, but I'd rather do it myself... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 am

I had a sad accident with mine - got too close with the brush cutter. :roll: :oops:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:56 pm

hi golden wattle
have you tried "plants galore" i think they are in melbourne???? they have some standards there i think !
well really they are all my favorites..just different ones on different days..... lol !!!
i just love them all... have you ever seen the "flexuosa"..i liked the foliage first ..and then it flowered!!... last year for the first time..and i am absolutely in love with it..... the perfume of it is very strong..just wonderful ! :D
Attachments
P8090028.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:18 pm

hi all
can anybody please tell me how to get a pic on here for the profile?????? as all of you have lovely flowerpics....
i manage to attach a picture for a reply but i can't find how to put one to the name !??? that would be very much appreciated ! thanks
:oops:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Mon May 16, 2011 4:46 pm

grevs1 wrote:hi all
can anybody please tell me how to get a pic on here for the profile?????? as all of you have lovely flowerpics....
i manage to attach a picture for a reply but i can't find how to put one to the name !??? that would be very much appreciated ! thanks
:oops:

Grevs, go to the User Control Panel (there's a tab toward the top left) and then select profile. There's a tab there to add or edit an avatar.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 am

Both tenuiloba and flexuosa are brilliant, thanks for the pics Grevs1!

I got my two standards from Australis plants, and they are really excellent quality (both at least 1.5M tall when I got them!). I was idly looking up grevillea pictures, when I found that a melbourne nursery (Werribee? http://www.grevilleanursery.com.au/kbm/) stocks Grevillea plum crazy (an Australis variety I think?) . This is another Grevillea I wanted, but can't justify buying any more of the exotic, grafted ones at the moment ;)

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 pm

bottletree wrote:I was idly looking up grevillea pictures, when I found that a melbourne nursery (Werribee? http://www.grevilleanursery.com.au/kbm/) stocks Grevillea plum crazy (an Australis variety I think?).

Werribee is a bit of trek for me. The most reputed native nursery in Melbourne is Kuranga in Mt Evelyn (in the Dandenongs). It's not close either, but it's a lovely drive to get there.

I could get a Standard Tenuiloba for $80 from Weeping Grevillea nursery in Kangaroo Ground (I'd pay $120 or more at Kuranga), but that would be the most I've ever paid for a plant. I haven't paid more than $35 for a low graft until now.

I paid $20 for a number of plants I ended up losing (a Warratah, a Southern Cross protea, a Brithday Candles Banksia and a Grevillea Fireworks) and it makes you reluctant to spend the higher amounts. I'd be pretty upset if I paid $120 for a standard grevillea and it died. I also think of it in terms of buying one plant compared to buying 6 or more cheaper ones. Maybe I'll treat myself for my birthday in June and pay a visit to the nursery in KG. :wink:

As an aside, does anyone think the 1m x 1m ball-shaped grevilleas like Fireworks, Goldrush and Scarlet Sprite would look good as standards?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 am

I can't comment of the first two, GW as I haven't seen their growth habit. As for scarlet sprite though, it tends to be fairly stiff, so unless you were looking for a constant job of keeping it pruned into a ball, I can't really imagine it working very well.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 pm

hi golden wattle
the fireworks looks wonderful as a standard..i have one with a 1m stem on it and its just ready to burst into flower.... when they open i will take a pic for you..but i do give it a fairly regular "haircut to keep the shape better........
grevs1
Head Curator

add pic

Postby grevs1 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 pm

hi pam thanks for your tip..i will try to get a picture up......... thanks !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat May 21, 2011 7:19 pm

grevs1 wrote:the fireworks looks wonderful as a standard..i have one with a 1m stem on it and its just ready to burst into flower.... when they open i will take a pic for you..but i do give it a fairly regular "haircut to keep the shape better........

I have a regular fireworks Grevs, but I'd love to see how it looks as a standard. Do you prune it to make it round (ie. ball on a stick)?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Batses » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 am

We have a standard Billy Bonkers that flowers almost continually. Maybe it depends on climate (we're in Newcastle, NSW) and the amount of sun (ours gets full sun). It's the focal point of our front garden and a constant source of joy for us, and nectar for the birds.
Batses
Apprentice

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed May 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I managed to get a G laurifoloa from Kuranga and I will almost certainly attempt to graft it to make a standard after a year's growth.

Batses wrote:We have a standard Billy Bonkers that flowers almost continually. It's the focal point of our front garden and a constant source of joy for us, and nectar for the birds.

My Lollypops is starting to flower almost continually now too (although not a standard, it also comes from Changers Green). I'll need to prune it to get a better shape though. I've seen bees feasting on it, but surprisingly, not many birds (just the odd Noisy Miner). I think the Kay Williams attracts the same wattlebird for a daily feast. I think Billy Bonkers is an excellent choice for a standard and I wouldn't mind having one in my garden!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives