Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 pm

hi golden wattle
took a pic today of my firework standard for you..it is not in flower yet but it won't be far away..will take another pic then....to get it slowly in shape i just give it a bit of a trim now and then i guess.........i don't want it in a true ball shape just a rounded neat shape i guess.... don't want it to formal...lol..... as the rest of our garden is more described as a "chaos" with hopefully nice focalpoints !.....
i haven't planted it in our garden yet as i want to have it as a feature in the middle of a round bed with groundcovers around it..haven't had time to create that yet.......... so i better pot it in a bigger pot till that happens.....
P5250014-1.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon May 30, 2011 5:20 pm

I finally decided which cultivar to graft. At the end of last week, I went to Bunnings and bought a Billy Bonkers for $18 and this afternoon I scarred sections of both the BB and my 1.5m tall Robusta and tied them together with grafting tape. I probably won't take a peak until some time in August, maybe a bit later for good measure. The plants are in my bungalow, so they'll be spared from frost. If I'm not successful with this attempt, I might try bipinnafitida in the spring... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Just came from the local garden centre where I saw a Purple Haze. The shape is fabulous - and there aren't even any flowers on it - can only imagine how good it would look covered in blooms. It was $140, but the trunk was a lot thicker than you usually see (close to 3cm in diameter as opposed to 1.5cm). I was amused that a robusta shoot was poking up above the top of the ball. I can only assume it grew after leaving the grower. It's too bad that the plants don't get the proper care in many garden centres. I reckon most hobby gardeners would know more than the staff at most garden centres... :? Anyway, I reckon Purple Haze is a good one to have since purple flowers aren't very common on grevilleas and the shape is great.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm

I imagine that Purple Haze is from Australis plants. They do both the $30 standards (or close enough), or more mature standards for 60.
The ones I got were the mature ones, and they have quite substantial trunks.

I love purple haze, but it is a little bigger than I was wanting. It's got fantastic flowers though :)

Glad that you decided on a species to graft. Billy bonkers is lovely!
bottletree
Senior Curator

nudiflora

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:19 am

hi all
my nudiflora is flowering and i thought you may want to enjoy it as well........ :-)
P6010002-2.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

pic of purple haze

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:27 am

yes purple haze is wonderful....fully agree there and even the new growths is just lovely burgundy tips, hey
P5020017-1.JPG

hope all of you don't mind , that i download lots of pictures but i just want to share all those wonderful plants for everybody to enjoy as well........ :)
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the nudiflora pic, Grevs. :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Please stop posting Grevs1, you're making me jealous of your collection of Grevillea standards :mrgreen:

No really - do post, its often very hard to find decent pictures of what a variety looks like grafted as a standard - the Purple haze is lovely :) And the nudiflora is fantastic! I always think the flowers look like butterflies attached to the branches ;)

I think my fiance is sick of me buying plants [and standards are a bit more expensive] so I think my stint at standards is done :cry: and I will have to live vicariously through you!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Grevs, please don't stop posting. Ignore Bottletree, he (she?) knows not what he (she) says.

Bottletree, the answer to the fiance having a problem with you buying plants is to buy them a toy of their liking at the same time. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm a girl. Fiance likes expensive things, like remote control helicopters and the like. I suppose, though, that if he gets something expensive, I can get many standards. Many many!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Good thinking. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 pm

So motivated by all this grevillea talk, I decided to have yet another go at grafting (eventually I have to have some success.) So armed with trusty grafting tape, safety razor blade and a pair of hefty kitchen scissors (because I was too lazy to get the secateurs) I headed out and snipped a bit off my cooroora cascade with the idea of putting it onto a head-height side shoot of a G. Robusta that I've lopped a couple of times to bring its height right down. With me so far?

So, with hands full of all of the above, I decided it was probably safest to put down all except the razor blade to make the cut in the robusta, so without thinking, just dropped the lot. The scissors, according to Murphy's law, went point down into my foot. Ouch! Looks nasty, and I'm sure it will be sorer tomorrow. All I can say is the graft had better work!

The robusta has a couple of nice straight upright stems heading toward a couple of metres in length, so I may well head out with the ladder in the next couple of days and attempt to air layer them for future standards. I don't know if by having no tap roots they might be a little less stable once they get a bit of weight on top, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm

hi all you lovely people
thank you for all those comments.............. put a big smile on my face....... and i am just so happy to share my passion with you all, as my family is sick of listening to "grevillea-talk" ..so i thought i "bore" you lot with pictures and comments......
as taking pictures is my second hobby !!! and i just can't help myself, when a plant has a new flower or whatever..i run with my camera !!! so i won't run out of pics in a hurry....... and as i am just so super lucky to have all those lovely plants here, i love sharing their beauty with everybody !.....
pam..i hope your foot is not too sore.......... sure must have hurt !...so if we see you come limping down the road, we won't ask you how the pair of scissors is doing !!!..... lol ... :D
well just to give you more teasers..... here comes another picture.....!!. (F)
P6010003-2.JPG
beautiful georgeana.... but very prickly !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 pm

grevs1 wrote:thank you for all those comments.............. put a big smile on my face....... and i am just so happy to share my passion with you all, as my family is sick of listening to "grevillea-talk" ..so i thought i "bore" you lot with pictures and comments......

I'm pretty sure many of us are in the same boat. My wife commented to me about all the money I waste on plants before dinner... <argh>

grevs1 wrote:as taking pictures is my second hobby !!! and i just can't help myself, when a plant has a new flower or whatever..i run with my camera !!! so i won't run out of pics in a hurry....... and as i am just so super lucky to have all those lovely plants here, i love sharing their beauty with everybody !.....

Keep the pics coming! It gives ideas about varieties we might not have seen ourselves. Also, sometimes they look a bit different from how you see them on tags. I had no idea pterdifolia was so big when I saw a photo of it yesterday - also didn't know there was a white form (apparently)...

I have no photos to share at this time, but my thelemanniana grey leaf is flowering and I find it such a pity that it's in a spot that doesn't get much of a looking. I think it would make a nice standard too - get the flowers up off the ground and give them some prominence! If anyone has one as a standard, I'd love to see it in flower. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 am

thanks goldenwattle for the encouragement !!!
i agree with you that the tags can be sometimes very missleading..... and photography has come a long way to improve pictures, hey..... but as printing cost a fair bit, i guess everybody wants to get rid of the old ones first before printing a new lot !
as most people have to buy plants when they are not flowering ,one looks at the tag and hopes it looks somewhat as the picture tells !
thats why i am happy to share the "real thing" ....:-)
sorry haven't got the thelmannia myself.....hm..looks like i have to go "snooping" to find one..... but i have the thyrosoides....have to read up if they are related........... !oh and congratulations for the prize of that stunning banksia..that is a beauty alright !!!!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 am

I was very tempted to get a Thelmannia a couple of weeks ago at Fairhill, but came with Magic Lantern (and a callistemon) instead. The mix they're currently using is far too peaty and I've been having to water them sometimes twice a day, (including a dunk every 2 to 3 days) which is totally ridiculous at this time of year. Forgot to water ONE day, and I think I may have lost the Magic Lantern - NOT happy!!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:03 pm

pam..bet you are devastated about the magic lantern..you sure it won't come back ?????
seems odd it would just die after one day.........! i have one in my frontgarden but of course i forgot that the lanamarie and the rasberry cascade grow soooo big and it is wedged inbetween...so i look at it for weeks and can't decide if i should and would be able to move it without it dieing !!!!..hmmmmm
as the silkyoak its grafted on am sure doesn't like its taproot disturbed........... but where it is it will probably die anyway being overgrown by those very vigorous ones next to it !!!! as i always plant stuff far too close together when they are little !!! hmmm
oh well.... i may try after we had a lot of rain again !!
isn't the weather just glorious lately !!! just magic.......... guess i better go have to load van for the markets tomorrow....well here is a pic of mine. so hopefully that cheers you up !
P7070018.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Gosh, that is a STUNNING plant, Grevs - it's no wonder I just HAD to have it. I haven't given up on mine just yet, but it's not looking good - might take it along to the markets tomorrow to get an expert opinion. :)

The bottlebrush I got at the same time was bought on behalf of a friend, and I'm scared stiff of killing it before I can get it to her in a couple of weeks. It was also wilted after a mere day without water, but it at least picked up again. I've never had this problem with potting mix from Fairhill before, but I'm just so disappointed, especially when I could have bought 2 grafted plants (and a bit) for what I paid for this one.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 pm

grevs1 wrote:.well here is a pic of mine. so hopefully that cheers you up !

It did! Thankyou. Did I mention how STUNNING it is? :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:42 am

Pam wrote:The bottlebrush I got at the same time was bought on behalf of a friend, and I'm scared stiff of killing it before I can get it to her in a couple of weeks. It was also wilted after a mere day without water, but it at least picked up again.

I can't wait to see it - how are the flowers going on it? My new avatar is a photo of the flower on it, courtesy of the lovely Pam.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives