Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby bottletree » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:22 am

Which callistemon is that Sam/Pam? It's beautiful!

I am thinking of buying a 10 pack of plants from Windyridge nursery - and I saw that they had C. Glasshouse country - is that similar?

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:46 pm

The flowers have been and gone Sam - diligently deadheaded and currently resting up for all the new branches its going to make ......... and getting watered far more often than it should need to. :roll: lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:18 pm

hi pam

here is the pic of that grevillea we talked about...do you think it has the same flowers?????
grafts (52).JPG
arenaria subsp.canescens
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:07 pm

You know Grevs, I think it just might be, only mine is a muskier pink. Thanks for the id.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Grevs,

The one in my avatar is Glasshouse Country. We discovered that my husband's great aunt was the original propagator of it.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

hi pam ..thank you so much for helping me reducing the avatar !!!! now i have a "face"..... lol thanks !!!
here a much better picture of my extra high( stem is 2.3m) nudiflora .... i just adore it ......... truly stunning, hey !
Attachments
P6040006.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:48 pm

today was an absolute glorious winterday...... just to rub it in for those people who live down south and have quite freezing conditions !!!
the first of our grevilleas are opening and already hords of noisy miners and blue-faced honey eaters are around..... unfortunately we have a newish young kelpie pup and it loves chasing anything moving so i have no chance to get a picture...........
anyway i just attach another one of "my babies"......... :-) this is our formosa mount brockman..but it just finished flowering now..all up its about 2m high i, so you can see how wonderful large those flowers are ....
P1230002-1.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote="grevs1 this is our formosa mount brockman..[/quote]

Ohhh what a tease! 'They' tell us we're not supposed to have too many grevilleas, for risk of attracting an excess of agressive honey eaters, such as noisy miners, for examply. After seeing your pics Grevs, I've decided there's simply no such thing as too many grevilleas.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:19 pm

no you are right, you know......... too may grevilleas..... who was ever saying that !!!!? out of their mind, totally!
and about the miners, yes they make a bit of a racket but also have wonderful nice sounding songs..and one thing for sure..you will never have a snake go unnoticed if you have miners around..they have a special attention-song if you want to call that and fly mini-attacks on the intruder, so you know exactly where it is......mind you i love also reptiles and have rescued already a few this year while my friend and hubby ran i climbed on ladders and picked up the poor terrified treesnake or python..... hahaha
and it is also not true that they keep other honey-eaters away..i have one pic somewhere on which a minor and blueface are happily sucking nectar right next to each other.......... and we have both nests of miners and bluefaces on the same hoop-pine..... so they are just fine with us !!!!
as our verandah overlooks the grevilleas i love watching all the birds anyway..just wonderful..... late afternoon is just magic !..how good is it to be alive hey !!
for me watching is like food for the soul......... one can forget all hassles of daily life for a little while and truly smile !!!!
see if i find another teaser....... hahahaha
15.9 005.JPG
noisy miner and young blueface on bif
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:19 am

Gee, Grevs, I wish I'd known about your snake catching skills a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure you could have made it here faster than it took the snake catcher to make the 20 minute trip from town. He got lost twice and ended up taking 2 hours. LOTS of fun entertaining (or rather, distracting) 2 dogs for that time while keeping a watchful eye to make sure the snake didn't come over the barrier I'd put accross the door.

It's not other honey eaters that I'm concerned about the miners keeping out here. We want finches and robins and cheeky little willy wagtails. Another couple of years or so and I think we should have enough shrubbery for them to be safe. It's all still a bit open yet. They're in the area, just up the top of our hill, so it's hopefully just a matter of time.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am

My neighbours Honey Gem (fully grown - 3-4 metres) gets lots of honey eaters... I've even seen a little friar bird in there once and a while. I, too, am waiting on my shrubs/trees to get big enough for the birds to feel safe to feed. Fingers crossed though!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 pm

oh yes i understand.....but i also have lots of finches and wigtails and i have a few fairywrens around......the grevillea the finches seem to love very much is the intricata..... do you people know that one.????.is has fairly pointy fine needle like foliage and the daintiest of little white flowers........ just a lovely delicate thing which grows into a thicket and all those little birds just love it !!!will see if i have a pic on here....its just flowering now ! if you hack it back it goes really thick..guess the needle-like foliage keeps all the bigger birds out !.......asthe foliage interlocks
think makes a good understorage bush beween others
P5250005.JPG
grev-intricata
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:51 pm

It sounds like a good idea, Grevs :) Do you think you'd need to raise a mound up to grow intricata up here (for drainage?)... or it would do okay in ground?

Ta!

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Sam » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 pm

BT - I think up here we need the grafted variety. I lost mine after all of rain we had in summer, but it was wonderful until then. They really need well drained soils.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:20 pm

I stumbled upon a website that featured grevilleas in Broome. G cunninghamii looks stunnings - I especially love the folliage:

And then there's G aurea. I love the folliage and the two-toned pendulous flowers:

I think my chances of getting either are virtually nill... :(

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I had the first one GW, but it was a fairly straggly,stressed plant before i got it. It was so unusual though that I figured it was worth the risk.

As Sam says, Bottletree, inricata needs to be grafted to have much chance of survival in our humid climate. If you can give it a locaton that doesn't get waterlogged, the grafted one should be fine though without building a mound for it. You really need at least one intricata though.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Pam wrote:I had the first one GW, but it was a fairly straggly,stressed plant before i got it. It was so unusual though that I figured it was worth the risk.

As Sam says, Bottletree, inricata needs to be grafted to have much chance of survival in our humid climate. If you can give it a locaton that doesn't get waterlogged, the grafted one should be fine though without building a mound for it. You really need at least one intricata though.

Sam wrote:BT - I think up here we need the grafted variety. I lost mine after all of rain we had in summer, but it was wonderful until then. They really need well drained soils.

I've seen a rather tatty looking specimen at the local nursery sitting there for ages (months!) but for that reason, don't want to buy it... might head out to Nielsens to get one. BTW - Pam - do you mean I need at least one to make my grevillea garden complete :) Do you have more than one planted, near each other? I am not sure how big they get...

I did put large mounds out for my standards, because I was worried about losing them! Same goes for my grafted eucalypts!

I was thinking of putting them out in the backyard, where I am not sure just how good the water drains... I did recently lose a Banksia Cherry Candles due to too much water retention in the soil. Pity :(
The paperbarks and bottlebrushes seem to love the soil though - and some of the other banksias I have (honey pots, and a dwarf red... I can't remember which it is...) seem very happy! I also have several grevillea - that don't complain (except during the rain leading to the flooding)...

Thanks for the advice guys!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:24 am

On the subject of the intricata, Bottletree, when I said you need at least one, what I'd been going to say was, "you really need one," but didn't want to limit it to just the one. hehehe

At the moment I have just the one, but it's going to need pruning shortly, so may be a good candidate for yet another attempt at grafting. A very lovely lady recently told me what I've probably been doing wrong, so hopefully I'll have some success next time around.

If you ever get up to Rockhampton BT (or anyone) there's a little grevillea garden at Gracemere, and it's just fantastic. They have some truly gorgeous grevilleas in there. They have a group of maybe half a dozen intricatas in there with a spread of probably 4 or 5 metres. They no doubt keep this pruned to fit in its alotted space, but I'm sure the little birds would absolutely love it.

I've been thinking of a trip to Nielsens myself. It's just a matter of finding the time when I'm in Brisbane.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 am

It was easy convincing the hubby-to-be to let me get an intricata, to get little wrens etc. Hoorah! Glad that you got some help on grafting, I can guess who from too :)

Just got to make sure I don't kill it :) Also getting a leptopspermum ballerina, it looks dense enough to protect little birds :)

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 am

Are you far from Nielsens, BT?
Pam
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives