Tuckeroo (cupaniopsis anacardioides)

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Tuckeroo (cupaniopsis anacardioides)

Postby gottagro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 am

I am about to plant a cupaniopsis anacardioides near my front gate, where it should eventually overhang a footpath leading to the house. I am concerned the nuts/berries will drop and cause a problem (safety/clean up). Is anyone familiar with this tree and tell me about this ?
gottagro
Pruner

Re: Tuckeroo (cupaniopsis anacardioides)

Postby abwal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 am

This tree can grow to 10-15m in height, but the roots are not very invasive.

They are fairly common as street/shopping centre trees in this area. The nuts, etc. would not be a huge problem as a quick sweep would remove them from paths.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby gottagro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks for that, just didn't want "ball bearings" on the path creating a hazard.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby Laevigatum » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:02 am

Hey gottagro, have you seen Cupaniopsis anaracardioides growing in Adelaide before? On the east coast they reach the southern limit of their range in Sydney where, unlike in Bundeberg where they grow to 10-15 metres, they will only grow to around 4 or 5 metres. The adelaide climate might not be condusive to the species.
Laevigatum
Lawn trimmer

Postby gottagro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

I haven't seen it live yet, am keeping my eyes out as I drive around. Bit of an experiment, I got it from the State Nursery here and the chap there mentioned the tree has been used as a street tree in the Adelaide City and down south at the seaside town of Port Noarlunga. I will plant it and see how it goes. I have planted a Macadamia close by at it is doing really well atm, so may work out.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby Tropicgardener » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Can't see why it wouldn't grow in Adelaide as I would see that the climate in Adelaide would be too much cooler than that of Sydney's. Tuckeroos are a common element of beach sand dune littoral rainforest communities along the Queensland coastline. They will grow well in a wide range of soil types and tolerate dry conditions, just ensure that they are protected from frost when they are young.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby Lotus » Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm a huge Tuckeroo fan. Tuckeroos are very hardy beautiful evergreens. They don't make a mess and seem to grow well in most conditions, from bitumen carparks to wind swept sandy dunes. I recently planted one next to my pool to block out an overlooking window in my neighbours new second story extension. I purchased a 3 meter established plant for $75. Three years later it's approximately 6 metres high, having grown upwards rather than outwards, due to its narrow confined growing space. This is despite my appalling clay soil. I live high up in a Brisbane mountain suburb at a similar height to Mounth Cootha TV towers. We freeze in winter (down to 0-1) and get heavy frosts. The only effect cold weather has on my Tuckeroos is to temporarily stop its growth.
My 4 tips for successfully growing a heathy Tuckeroo with shiny green leaves are: (1) invest in a large established plant; (2) give it lots of water (I find good repeated soakings combined with a bit of warmer weather results in sudden growth spurts. Then I cut back on the watering until the leaves turned dark green and the new branches strengthen, then I repeat the process. Probably best to wait until Spring to plant if you're in the southern states): (3) feed the plant heaps of Dynamic Lifter; (4) best tip, put loads of sugarcane mulch around its base until it is established.
Lotus
Apprentice

Postby bubba louie » Mon May 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Lotus wrote: I live high up in a Brisbane mountain suburb at a similar height to Mounth Cootha TV towers. We freeze in winter (down to 0-1) and get heavy frosts.

You've got me puzzled now. I can only think Mt Glorious or Mt Nebo but I wouldn't have thought they'd get frost.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby gottagro » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info, I have planted it, will provide an update to let you know how it goes.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:00 pm

OK July 2011 Tuckeroo 0.68 metres
And for interest the Macadamia behind it on the right on slender stake 1.49 and Quandong (Santalum Acuminatum) barely discernable directly behind it 1.02.
Attachments
007.JPG
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

March 2012 Tuckeroo 0.90m, Macadamia 1.37 (I didn't prune it, must have misread the measure last time) and Quandong 1.54.
Attachments
P3150063.JPG
gottagro
Pruner

Postby karyn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Whereabouts in Adelaide are you?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby gottagro » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 am

On the flats, Clarence Park. Rarely get frosts.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 pm

July 2012 Tuckeroo 0.90m(no change !, had 2 frosts I reckon), Macadamia 1.46 and Quandong 1.79.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 am

Feb 2013 -
Tuckeroo 1.34m(was pruned and seems to be settling), Macadamia 1.65 and Quandong 1.84(planted new host plant and got a good prune as well).
I'll post a new picture in July.
Last edited by gottagro on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Aug 2013 -
Tuckeroo 1.55m, Macadamia 1.85 and Quandong 1.98.
The plant has been healthy until recently but developed brown leaves and stem on lower part of the plant, I have removed these. Can't think of a cause; too cold/disease?
Thought the picture would work out a bit clearer, sorry.
Attachments
062.JPG
gottagro
Pruner

Postby Tropicgardener » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Seeing that you have removed the brown leaves I can't really comment on what could have caused it......... The rest of the plant looks very healthy so I wouldn't worry too much about it, should take off when the warmer weather arrives.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby gottagro » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:31 pm

August 2014 -
Tuckeroo 1.65m, Macadamia 2.15 and Quandong 2.50.
The Tuckeroo has only grown 10cm, but looks a lot healthier.
The other two are doing extremely well.
All plants are nearly 3 and half years old.
Does anyone have info on when I can expect some nuts from the Macadamia and fruit from the Quandong?
Attachments
P8240009.JPG
If you look closely you will see a 5yo peering back at the camera and an 8yo sitting on a bench listening to music whilst dad does boring gardening stuff.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby gottagro » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:05 pm

September 2015 -
Tuckeroo 2.2m, Macadamia 2.7 and Quandong 2.3.
Tuckeroo is a lot healthier and has settled in. Macadamia well established. Quandong got a bit of a trim, will look at planting another host as I can't seem to locate the host atm.
Not nuts. No fruit.
Attachments
P9150042.JPG
Needs mulch
gottagro
Pruner

Return to Australian Natives