Acacia Cognata - is it going to drop dead?

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Acacia Cognata - is it going to drop dead?

Postby Trader » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:04 pm

I have this Acacia Cognata (River Cascade) which is dropping all its leaves and begining to look threadbare. I have another two which are planted in the same location (but don't have this issue). I have only had them for about 2 yrs - can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Acacia Cognata - River Cascade.JPG
Trader
Head Gardener

Re: Acacia Cognata - is it going to drop dead?

Postby forumadmin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,
It looks like the plant is suffering from stress...has the area been very wet or dry? Has the plant been fertilised recently, as if it wasn’t a native fertiliser it may be suffering from phosphorus toxicity and may die. Garden Express has a horticulturist on hand so if you would like any further information please feel free to call 1300 606 242 and speak to Veronica.
Cheers,
GE Admin
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Trader » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 am

It was looking poorly and so I increase the water to it (things had been a bit dry) and also gave it some native fertiliser.

I have seen a number of other acacia cognata cultivars around the place in this kind of state (i.e. go well for a period and then go into a semi-rapid decline) - don't know if it is a problem with this type of plant(??).
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby karyn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 am

I actually find these fussy to grow. Most Acacias are fairly hardy but these don't like my soil/drainage, and don't survive in the ground at my place.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 am

Same here Karyn, which is a pity, because there are some lovely ones.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Trader » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

What I find curious when I think about them that the ones that I have seen fail seem to be from a variety of differnt locations (i.e. it isn't that they were all planted in full shade etc). Also it appears to be somewhat random (i.e. I will see a row of them where one in every three have died but the others are doing fine).
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby Trader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 am

Things are beginning to go from bad to worse, now another one in the same row is beginning to lose leaves whilst the one that I posted a photo of is looking even more threadbare. I tried adding native fertilizer however this does not appear to have made much of a difference.

Although it pains me to think of it (given what I paid for them) I am thinking of pulling them out and planting something hardier. Is it likely that the other ones in the row are going to follow down this path? Is there any way of predicting when a plant is beyond saving? I am not keen to spend the next few years watching them die one by one (when I could instead have something there that would thrive).
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby lilly60 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Trader, I don't think I can be much help and in the past I have hung on to plants until they are absolutely gone, but are there any others planted in the surrounding area/s by other gardeners? Would it be that they just don't like the climate/soil in your specific neck of the woods? :-?
lilly60
Groundsperson

Postby Trader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 pm

That is the thing - almost without exception every example of this plant that I have seen in Sydney has either not been thriving, on the way out or dead...(although that being said I have only seen them in two other locations, one which was clearly unsuitable being part shade). I don't know - has anyone had any luck with them down here?
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 am

It's hard to tell from the pic, Trader, but are the leaves going yellow? If so, the problem could well be a lack of iron, which could easily be remedied with a dose of iron chelates. At around $20 for a pack (depending on where you get it) It's not terribly cheap, but goes a long way - unless you have a huge garden you're unlikely to ever have to buy a second pack. And when you think about it, losing just one or two plants unnecessarily makes us fpr the price of the pack anyway.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 am

Surprising how trace elements can help too.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Trader » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 am

Nah, they are either looking fine or on the ground having dropped off (i.e. there doesn't appear to be any yellowing prior to their falling off). I have tried giving it some native fertilizer (with trace elements) but so far nothing much has worked.
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby tam » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm

If they are 2yrs old they should not require watering. Maybe a good soaking a couple times a month during very dry periods.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Schuey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi All,

I have had a half a dozen attempts at growing acacia cognata limelights in the sandy soils of Armadale in Eastern Perth. Planted in the garden all have died. One of two survived in a Pot and looks great. They are very fussy and personally I wouldnt bother trying to grow them in ghe ground again.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby bubba louie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 pm

I had one, not sure which, that was tough as old boots. It was growing in sticky clay, until it got too big and I gave it the chop.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Trader » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:20 pm

Good news - a year later and they are going strong. Required a bit more watering and now they are all looking very hardy (I have noticed a lot of problems with this cultivar though - they often die off before getting established).
Trader
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 am

Happy to hear it Trader.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Australian Natives