Smaller Alternative to Grevillea Moonlight?

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Smaller Alternative to Grevillea Moonlight?

Postby Carnival44 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi,

I love G. Moonlight but am thinking it might grow too big for my garden. There seems to be so much conflicting info on how big Moonlight can actually grow. I wanted to train as a single trunk tree with a nice spreading canopy. Something nice to sit under in the summertime and also to block the neighbours along the back fence. They have a swimming pool too so I am trying to plant something that won't cause too many problems for them.

Are there particular Grevilleas more suited for this purpose? Up to 3 meters ht (4mt at the max) x 2.5 - 4 mt wide would be okay.
I live in Armadale, Perth WA

Any ideas would be welcome...with a preference for plants that attract wildlife. Thanks :)
Carnival44
Weeder

Re: Smaller Alternative to Grevillea Moonlight?

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 am

If the central leader of moonlight is pinched or pruned out at the height you want it to branch it will probably remain around the height you're after.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Carnival44 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:34 am

Thanks Pam,

I will definitely keep that in mind. I have decided to try experimenting with a Calliandra Haematocephala. Although they are better suited to a tropical climate, I love the look of them and have ordered some seeds online. There is a nursery here in Perth that sells another form of Calliandra but it is too small for my purpose. If this doesn't work then I will train Moonlight as you suggested.

Grevillea Moonlight is very hard to come by at the moment. None of the nurseries are able to get supplies. Apparently the weather has been too wet and the suppliers say they are not ready to be sent to nurseries yet. From all reports, it might be another few weeks.

How is Bundaberg these days? I lived in Hervey Bay for a couple of years and loved it :D
Carnival44
Weeder

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:55 am

Carnival44 wrote:
How is Bundaberg these days? I lived in Hervey Bay for a couple of years and loved it :D

Dry, probably perfect weather for propagating moonlight. :lol:

I went to school for a couple of years at Armadale too. lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Carnival44 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Sorry for late reply Pam.....all work and no play these days :)

Yes it would be the perfect weather and the nurseries here still haven't received their Moonlights in.

Armadale ....well it just goes to show what a small world we actually live in. I only moved to Perth in 1989. I grew up in Mansfield, Victoria. I really miss the countryside ....and good soil lol
Darn sand and rock hard red clay does my head in over here :D
Carnival44
Weeder

Postby Schuey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am

Try a Grevillea Ivory whip. I live in Camillo in Armadale and found one on the 8/01/14 at Bunnings up at the end of Lake road/ Armadale Rd..

I specifically bought it as a smaller version of Moonlight. Give that a try.
Schuey
Pruner

Return to Australian Natives