Hibiscus Tiliaceus won't grow!

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Hibiscus Tiliaceus won't grow!

Postby Spudboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 am

Planted a small (40 cm) Hibisicus Tiliaceus Rubra in my west-facing front yard over 18 months ago. Thought I did everything right; dug the hole nice and wide, added a bit of gypsum and organic matter (good compost) gave it a soak of soil tonic, babied it through the heat of summer with water and mulch, but most importantly chose what is supposed to be a hardy and fast growing tree.

It has had just about zero growth in all this time. Probably shrunk, as a few of the tips withered in the summer heat last year and haven't regenerated. Late this winter I carefully dug around the perimeter of the hole to make sure it wasn't root-bound. Seemed fine, with lots of small, outward roots.

New buds appeared in the spring, but they aren't amounting to any new growth. The darn thing just sits there, neither growing or dying, or looking particularly healthy. I was hoping we'd be on our way to a nice shady tree in the front by now. Instead there's just a leafy stick one of the kids is probably going to trod on.

Any suggestions? If the answer is "start over", any advice as to when? Summer heat is here.

(P.S. Hopefully this has been posted in the right category. It's often referred to as "Native Hibiscus".)
Spudboy
Lawn trimmer

Re: Hibiscus Tiliaceus won't grow!

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:50 am

You have mentioned nothing about feeding it? If you haven't done so it would no doubt help a lot.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Spudboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:11 am

I gave it a feed of seaweed fertilizer in the spring at the recommended dose, and topped up the compost and mulch, all with no noticeable results. Is there a better fertilizer for this particular plant?
Spudboy
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 am

Seaweed solution isn't really a fertiliser as such. It's more of a soil tonic - helps to create healthy soil, which in turn does benefit plant growth, but isn't enough in itself.

Any all-purpose fertilizer would be fine. As they are not a member of the proteaceae family they are not phosphorus intolerant like grevilleas, banksias etc.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Spudboy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks, Pam. I'll expand the fertilizing regime and see what happens before I decide to start over next spring.
Spudboy
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 am

What's your soil like, Spudboy?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Spudboy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:06 pm

It looked okay when I did my exploratory dig around the tree in late winter; nice and dark and friable. I hope I can tell you more if I get my soil testing kit for Christmas! But generally speaking, the soils in the Adelaide eastern suburbs are clay.
Spudboy
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives