dead branches on kings park bottlebrushes

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

dead branches on kings park bottlebrushes

Postby jaffadog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 am

I have several kings park bottle bushbrushes which have all have developed dead branches on them. Most branches are only the smaller ones( say around 18 inches long) The trees themselves are about 3 meters tall. Ive noticed that some branches seem to get new shoots then die shortly after. Thought it could be water related but i live in the southern part of WA and even through summer I tend to make sure they have water. I have Pittosporum's growing next to them which are quite happy. Do give them some slow release fertilizer maybe one a year plus give the whole garden powerfeed during spring and summer..any ideas anyone?
Attachments
IMG_0203.JPG
jaffadog
Apprentice

Re: dead branches on kings park bottlebrushes

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 am

Are they low enough that you can check the stems for any sign of borer?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: dead branches on kings park bottlebrushes

Postby thistledome » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:52 pm

I have some 300 bottlebrush and most of them at some stage or another develop dead areas. Some people call this self pruning but I tend to think that the trees, when it rains or when growing circumstances are right, get a growth spurt which they can't maintain. It is then that they have sections of new growth that die. I just trim that section away and you will find it will be replaced by new growth when circumstances are right in the future.
thistledome
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives