My Native Garden in Camillo, Perth

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

My Native Garden in Camillo, Perth

Postby Schuey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:54 am

Hi All,

Just thought I would share a few pics of my native garden in the Sandy Soils of Armadale, which is about 20km south East of Perth. Am sharing these for no particular reason as I like to see pics of other peoples plants so thought would reciprocate.
The garden has been established about 5 years, It is my first attempt so am still getting to grips with plant placement and bordering. I am consciously trying not to crowd plants so there are plenty of gaps at the moment for plants to grow in to

. I particularly like Grevilleas. At the moment I have in:
G. Loupy Lou
G. Caloundra Gem.
G. Moonlight
G Coconut Ice
G Masons Hybrid/Ned Kelly
G Golden Lyre
G Golden Yulo
G Billy Bonkers
G Molongolo
G Ivory Whip (not planted yet, is in a pot)
G Olivacea Red
G Peaches and Cream

Though most are young and haven't flowered to any great degree.
Here are some Pics;
Attachments
image (3).jpeg
Native Garden
image.jpeg
Caloundra Gem
image (1).jpeg
Masons Hybrid
Last edited by Schuey on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schuey
Pruner

Re: My Native Garden in Camillo, Perth

Postby Schuey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am

and a few more:
Attachments
image (2).jpeg
G. Olivacea Red
image (4).jpeg
Native Garden
Schuey
Pruner

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:12 am

Looking good, Schuey. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Schuey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:20 am

Pam wrote:Looking good, Schuey. :)

Thanks Pam.

I ploughed a fair bit of water into my 2yo Golden Lyre in the last few weeks and it has responded by giving me a dozen or so buds that are just about to open.

I have a juvenile 3yo Billy Bonkers too which has been a bit of a disappointment has only had patchy flowering at best and had none this spring/summer despite looking really healthy.
Am going to move a few retic sprays and feed it more water to hopefully get it flowering too.

If you have any other suggestions to get my Billy Bonkers to flower am all ears.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby midgin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:51 am

A lovely garden, Shuey. I now have a few grevillea...like you I have 'Peaches and Cream'. Another that hasn't done a great deal is G. 'Birdsong'.... It has a brilliant orange flower...when it decides to do so... :shock:
My other ones are standards.. two of which I bought some years back...they are a wee bit taller than my latest standard Grevs.
One of the two taller standards is Grevillea 'Grassfire'....fabulous, healthy looking bush...flowers?.... not prolific just so-so. The other 'taller' one is G. biternata ....love it, love it, love it. Beautiful, draping, feathery foliage...near reaching the ground...and lovely delicate flowers. Next flowering season I hope to get a decent photo... :oops: Of my smaller standards...two are 'Poorinda Royal Mantle'...always in flower...best performers of all my Grevillea...next I have a healthy looking bush of G. 'Purple Haze'. It has beautiful, soft, healthy foliage but flowers ??? ....put it this way, a few more flowers this past year ...but nothing startling. ...sadly.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 am

Midgin, your original pic/s of grassfire prompted me to want to put one in myself. NOW you tell us that it flowers poorly?! :lol: Mine has only been in for two or three years, but seems to be the same as yours - very shy of flowering.

Schuey, try giving your Billy Bonkers a bit more water, as already planned, and see how you get on with it. Is it in sun or shade?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:11 am

I guess part of the problem with my grassfire is the flowers seem to get 'lost'. Because the bush is so big and lush looking...the flowers seem almost insignificant....if that makes sense. Here is a pic I took this morning. BTW...I noticed heaps of lovely little flowers forming...so fingers crossed.

Grevillea 'Grassfire' Mon 20.1.2014 002 (Small).jpg
Grevillea 'Grassfire'.

Here is a pic of G. 'Royal Mantle'

Grevillea 'Royal Mantle' Sun PM 1.9.13 033 (Small).jpg
Grevillea 'Royal Mantle'

Grevillea Biternata. This photo does not do it justice...more flowers appeared after this shot... but I was too slow with the camera.

Grevillea biternata Sun 2pm 1.9.13 (Small).jpg
Grevilla Biternata
'

Hi Schuey, I didn't mean to take over your thread. I stand by my comments, you have a beautiful garden.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Schuey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Midgin & Pam, thanks for responding.

Midgin, Now worries about using the thread. The more the merrier.

I like the shots of the Royal Mantle standard, have considered getting standards in the past but for some reason I have it in my head they are a bit un-natural looking, but I might have to reconsider now. They seem a good use of space.

The grassfire seems really healthy, haven't seen that one in nurseries over this way in Perth, Birdsong neither. I also see what looks like a Red cordyline in the foreground of the Grassfire, I tried them over here and they get burnt in the Searing heat, I even had them in the shade for all but 2 hours a day and they still got burnt.

Pam, below is a pic of the Billy Bonkers taken this morning. It gets full sun until the late afternoon. Hopefully extra water will do the trick. It has been pruned to keep it bushy too.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Billy Bonkers. Not Flowering :-(. As you can see it looks pretty healthy.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby Schuey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:36 pm

A few more pics of the garden. Was out there at 7am this morning (avoid the heat) to dig a new garden bed so brought the camera out with me.
Attachments
image (3).jpeg
2yo Acacia Fimbrata Dwarf. Incredible soft yellow foliage and amazing growth rate. this in a small pot only 2 years ago!.
image (2).jpeg
This flowering gum has been going 5 years. Such great flowers. Is Leaning the wrong way despite best efforts to stake and prune branchers. Red Roo Paws (2 years in the ground, phenomenal growth rate) at the end of their just to the left of the gum tree.
image (1).jpeg
Golden Lyre. Has a dozen buds just about to open. It already has that characteristic low, drooping shape. The lazy flowerer Billy Bonkers is behind it in this pic. Just to the right is a Banksia Red Rover, no flowers yet but interesting lime green young foliage.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby Schuey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Agonis Flexuosa 'After Dark'
Attachments
image (4).jpeg
Agonis Flexuosa 'after dark' - bought in a 50Lt tub 2 years ago for 50 bucks has settled in superbly. Have diligently trimmed off side branches and the trunk is training dead straight. Will make a beautiful purple tree. One of my favorites of the garden.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby midgin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:52 pm

'Billy Bonkers' looks very healthy indeed. Be sure to look up 'Purple Haze'...it has a stunning flower. Below is a shot of one of my few flowers that have shown their face. *sigh*
I haven't been 'into' native plants for all that long, a few years?? I guess I am fortunate to live close-by to a 'native plant' nursery. I find they have much cheaper plants than the regular nurseries...and the bonus? ....well....some interesting plants.
One native plant has totally, totally perplexed me,....I have a Hakea laurina (Pincushion) ..which would have to be 5 years old. Darn thing, It has never grown in height (still approx 1.mt) ..... but the side branches grow...they weep to the ground. At present it is looking very, very sad...with the heat and lack of rain. I do water (just see my water bill...OMG), but gee whizz... it is hard to keep up the needs of plants.

Moving on....my 'Purple Haze'. :wink:

Grevillea Purple Haze 13.12.2011 (Small).JPG
'Purple Haze'

BTW...that Cordyline is 'Electric Pink'.... and yes, it's a tough little blighter.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Re the Agonis Flexuosa 'After Dark'... by heavens... I am darn near jealous....lol.. I have tried and tried to grow that lovely tree...to no avail. Both died. It is a stunning tree, lucky you.
I have the regular Agonis Flexuosa. It was here we we bought this place...lovely weepy foliage...tends to remind me of a Weeping Willow tree.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:42 am

midgin wrote:Re the Agonis Flexuosa 'After Dark'... by heavens... I am darn near jealous....lol.. I have tried and tried to grow that lovely tree...to no avail. Both died. It is a stunning tree, lucky you.

Ditto!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Looks awesome Shuey - will be even more so when that all grows (Y)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 am

Midgin -- your grassfire looks lovely! Mine seems to be a little... 'bald' on top. Do you have any suggestions for how to rectify this? Most of the green leaves are quite low to the ground -- do you think it would handle a hard prune..
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Do it BT - it will do it the world of good. Just be sure not to let it dry out too much while it's reshooting.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Alright Pam -- I will look out for a good rain forecast and give the Grassfire quite a haircut!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks bottletree...healthy, yes...but flowers? not as many as I had hoped. I do trim the lanky, hanging parts of the Grevillea...and also the matty, twiggy dead stuff underneath. In fact after trimming the dead bits....the plant seemed to gain a spurt of growth. Best of luck.

If I have a captive audience...lol... re Native plants...check out my latest acquisition. Grevillea 'Jingle Bells' (crappy photo...but you get the gist). I love, love, love the foliage....flowers to date? ...haven't done a great deal. But ...early days. :wink:

Grevillea 'Jingle Bells' 97CO 6.3.2014 (Small).jpg

And again... almost like a proud parent...check out the growth on my grafted Acacia baileyana 'Goldilocks'....it is growing sideways... (the main stem is in line with that dracaena stem) ...YIKES.
Flowers are forming...sooo this may be the year for a promising show. Fingers crossed.

Acacia baileyana 'Goldilocks'  21.3.2014 010 (Small).jpg
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 am

So that acacia is on a standard Midgin? It should be a real show stopper when it's flowering ... it's rather lovely even when not.

Just out of interest, does your Jingle Bells have the parents named on the tag? One is clearly bipinnatifida, but I'm curious what else it has in it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 am

Thanks Pam...the tag for the Grevillea is rather lacking...sadly. Grevillea 'Jingle Bells'....that's it. A bit of detective work found this...which doesn't say a great deal... just confirmation of what you wrote.

BOTANICAL NAME.
Grevillea bipinnatafida

HEIGHT & WIDTH.
Grafted at around 5 foot high, this somewhat lax shrub will develop a weeping habit and achieve a width or around 1.5 metres.

ORIGIN.
Australia
midgin
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Australian Natives