Aulax cancellata Bronze Haze dying off.. Help!!

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Aulax cancellata Bronze Haze dying off.. Help!!

Postby Ingrid » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

We had 5 of these plants. 1 died off & the others look like they are going the same way. They have been in the ground for about 10 months. It starts with the bottom leaves turning brown & dying off, gradually it happens all the way up the plant until the whole thing is dead. The soil is clay though the drainage seems to be very good. In fact it was mentioned that perhaps they needed more water as maybe the water was not being retained very well. They are in a western facing position next to a colour bond fence. They have not been fertilised as we were told not to. Hoping someone out there may have some ideas as the people i have spoken to here don"t seem to really know. Thankyou in advance.
20140127_085003.jpg
Ingrid
Lawn trimmer

Re: Aulax cancellata Bronze Haze dying off.. Help!!

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 am

Could be phytophthora. They are quite prone to it apparently, and it is prevalent in clay soils.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby gottagro » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 am

Perhaps move the mulch away from the stem of the plant a bit. I have found in the past plants doing not so well with the mulch in contact with the plant itself.
gottagro
Pruner

Postby Ingrid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Systematically 1 by 1 they have all died :cry: and they were all doing so well! The roots didn't look that bad i thought when i pulled one that was on it's way out and i did wonder if there was something in the mulch that was leeching out or if it was the mulch itself. It was suggested to test the soil PH.. guess it's always handy to know.
Ingrid
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 am

When you pulled them out was the soil particularly wet or dry Ingrid?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ingrid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am

The soil around the plant was slightly damp (had been watered only a day or 2 prior) with the soil in the root ball feeling perhaps a little more damp than the outer soil. The roots were not blackened or soggy and didn't break overly easy. The root system in all the plants when i pulled them up were looking like they were happily establishing themselves & not bound up. Some of the plants were flowering even. We are really scratching our heads not knowing if it was disease, heat stress from being planted too close to the colour bond fence with little water (Adelaide summer has been horrible) or something else. The other natives close by are doing well, only difference there is no fence near them. Perhaps these guys were not suited for so many hours of full sun?? We will try again but look into a different species i think.
Ingrid
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives