Bare Roots

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Bare Roots

Postby Lilacat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 pm

This is another ? about my Purple Pride Geraldton wax in a pot, the info I go re fertilizing was very helpful thank you. The problem now is that some of the roots are coming to the surface, I have put more potting mix over them but they still resurface. (I don't think I planted it deep enough) My ? is if I take it out of the pot and re plant it a bit deeper will that solve the problem? or can some one offer any other solutions. When I bought it the plant has a green piece of tape just below the leaves so I didn't plant above that green tape. Thank you :)
Lilacat
Lawn trimmer

Re: Bare Roots

Postby karyn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 pm

The green tape might just have been to attach the stem/trunk to a thin bamboo stake while it was young. Hopefully you removed the tape? You could lift it, trim off the fine roots at the base and plant it deeper. You may get collar rot if you plant it too deeply, but I always plant my natives a bit deeper than they were originally planted. You can fertilise a Geraldton Wax with anything; it doesn't have to be specific to natives. A light trim all over after flowering will keep it a good shape, or cutting the flowers to take inside will do the job just as well!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Bare Roots

Postby Lilacat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks Karyn, I'll give it a go and no I haven't taken the green tape off BUT WILL DO IT NOW.
Lilacat
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives