Coreas on the way out

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Coreas on the way out

Postby Trader » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:18 pm

I have about 6 correa "federation belles" and have been having a recurring problem. They will begin to look wilted, and then despite repeated watering etc they don’t bounce back. After a hot day I have noticed that most plants will wilt but will bounce back at night (provided they receive enough water). I have found nothing that works with them (keeping them shaded, watering them, not watering them etc). What is weird is that after they get to this state it often takes weeks and weeks before they finally die (i.e. they just hang around looking half dead but neither dying or bouncing back).
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Trader
Head Gardener

Re: Coreas on the way out

Postby karyn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I heard Jon Lamb (a gardener who does radio talkback on gardening) recently say that some Correas will die if you water them in hot weather. I haven't experienced that personally but Federation Bell is not one of the more robust Correas. She does a lot better in afternoon shade, and water regularly throughout Summer.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Quenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Is the water getting down into the soil, or could it be running off. May be worth a bit of digging to check.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby Trader » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks for the thoughts - it is getting water to the roots. It is interesting (but unfortunate) about the afternoon shade - the position they are in mean that they are shaded in the morning and get sun in the evening.

I love the Correas but am wondering whether this is going to be a losing battle. Are the other forms that are more robust?
Trader
Head Gardener

Return to Australian Natives