Growing Grevilleas in pots

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Growing Grevilleas in pots

Postby Schuey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone had any success growing Grevilleas in pots? If so do you have any tips please?

I want to grow Grevilleas on my 3rd floor balcony in Chatswood, Sydney (15 mins drive North from CBD).

I have 6 large planter boxes (L60cm x W40cm x D100cm) on a North facing aspect that get sun pretty much all day after mid morning.

I have planted a G.Peaches and Cream and a G.Ned Kelly into native potting mix in two of the planter boxes.

I have scoured the web and there is very little in growjng Grevilleas in pots. The general consensus is Grevilleas do not like pots at all, but I am stubborn so am going to try.

Thx for reading.
Schuey
Pruner

Re: Growing Grevilleas in pots

Postby tam » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 pm

They will do good in pots, just make sure it drains well. I have had one in a pot for a couple of years and all is good. I water it every day.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Schuey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:05 pm

tam wrote:They will do good in pots, just make sure it drains well. I have had one in a pot for a couple of years and all is good. I water it every day.

Great to hear Tam! That's a big relief. May I ask the variety please? Does it flower ok?

I'll water mine daily too.
Schuey
Pruner

Postby tam » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Lollypops and it seems to flower most of the year.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby midgin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 am

My latest buy, the lovely Grevillea 'Jingle Bells' (G. bipinnatafida) is in a pot and is powering on. Heaps of flowers forming...so much so that I commented to my sister I wish I had as much success with some the other grevillea that are in the ground. With my new baby, I did use good potting mix, a heavy pot (because my plant is a std) and the end result is situated in a very sunny spot.
Best of luck.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am

Yes, good potting mix and plenty of water (must still drain well though.) In pots they are not terribly forgiving of drying out for too long, especially as yours will get sun for most of the day.

And don't forget to feed them - top up your fertiliser at the appropriate time.

Be sure to dead head to encourage bushiness and prevent them from becoming straggly.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Schuey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I now have 5 Grevilleas growing in roughly 50cm pots on my balcony in Sydney.
Specifically they are:
1.) G. Ned Kelly
2.) G. Peaches n Cream
3.) G. Billy Bonkers (Grafted).
4.) G. Bronze Rambler
5.) G. Robyn Gordon

I planted them 3 months ago in autumn. It is now the middle of winter and I am happy to report all have settled in well and are pushing out new growth. This springs buds are already forming on all of the plants.

Grevilleas seem perfectly happy in pots on my balcony.

Cheers

Tim
Schuey
Pruner

Postby tam » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Glad they are growing for you.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Australian Natives