Grevillea Probelms

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Grevillea Probelms

Postby kerry93 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 am

I planted a Robyn Gordon grevillea last year and since then it has really flourished with lots of new growth and flowers. However, in the last couple of weeks the top has stared turning brown and wilting- flowers and all, the rest of the plant still looks healthy though. Could this be an issue with phosphorus maybe? If it is, is there a way to save it?
Thanks
kerry93
Apprentice

Re: Grevillea Probelms

Postby tam » Thu May 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Sounds like not enough water. Have you had a dig around it to check.
A good soaking once a week if no rain will help them.
Trim the wilted and brown bits off.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby kerry93 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:42 am

I haven't dug around in the soil no, I checked the trunk though and it seemed to be ok and the other plants around it are doing well. It should be getting enough water, its been pretty rainy around Perth at the moment but I will apply a soil wetter and give it a trim, then see what happens maybe
kerry93
Apprentice

Postby Pam » Fri May 23, 2014 5:39 am

Check for borers. If they're there you will see clumps of what looks like sawdust. Pull/ scrape those off and within it you will find either a grub, or most likely, a hole in the stem. Poking a stiff wire or similar into the hole as far as it will go should dispense with the grub.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Australian Natives