Winter gardening - will new plants die?

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Winter gardening - will new plants die?

Postby Wollemi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Can I dig (chop and smash, really...) holes, and then plant semi-mature Gymea Lily and 1m tall Casuarina sp. on cold winter days? Or will the plants die when watered in, then it is fairly cold overnight.

I am in the lower Blue Mts, just W of Sydney;, 300m ASL. Overnight lows of 5 degrees C several nights in a row later this week. Days have been sunny.

Do plants grow in winter anyway? I spent an hour hosing the front garden, comprising many natives, last night. Am I wasting my time in this regard? Although we have had some evening rain, neighbours couch and kikuyu is fairly yellow (Yay!)

Re: Winter gardening - will new plants die?

Postby Keo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 pm

I think they'll be fine. Maybe avoid frost if you can.

Postby Schuey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

I planted Some Grevilleas, Lilly Pilly's and Banksias in pots on my balcony garden in Chatswood 20 mins drive north of the Sydney CBD in May. They have all sent out new growth throughout winter. The Grevilleas have budded in advance of spring.
So yes they do grow. Obviously this will accelerate as it warms up in Spring.

Postby edleigh7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 am

and i wouldnt water in the afternoon/evening as they will get cold feet, water in the morning so they get time to warm up
Tropical Collector

Return to Australian Natives