Issue with Banksia Oblongifolia

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Issue with Banksia Oblongifolia

Postby LAdd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Banksia2.jpg
Hi all. I live in the Ipswich area of SEQ. I`m noticing that since somewhere mid winter, the buds on my banksia oblongifolia have turned black. Coming into spring most of my other plants are starting to move again, but this one has only a couple of new shoots near the bottom. The rest of the plant doesn't seem to be doing anything. I`m not sure of the PH of my soil at present. We are on a clay soil which I had worked a bit before planting. It was thriving before winter as are most of the other plants. I did feed it some chelated iron a few times over the months. I`m not sure if it is lacking in something of if this might just be a case of frost damage. If it looks to be frost damage, then what action is needed? Thankyou in advance :)

Leon.
LAdd
Weeder

Re: Issue with Banksia Oblongifolia

Postby HortMaster » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:26 pm

May be frost damage. I'd also look into whether it has a calcium deficiency. Check your pH also and determine whether that needs adjusting. Just from looking at the photo my advice would be to chuck on some dolomite lime:) or gypsum
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Postby LAdd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Hortmaster. Thanks for the reply :) I bought a PH test kit last weekend. I will give that a shot this weekend coming. As for the gypsum....I did mix gypsum into the soil about a year and a half back. Maybe it wasn`t enough though. Just referring to the photo again.....that tiny piece of new growth at the tip has not done much for sometime now....although over the course of the week, the blackened bud underneath that growth, looks as if its going to open and produce multiple shoots. I`m not sure if maybe I should prune that top growth back or just wait and see what happens. What do you think?
LAdd
Weeder

Postby HortMaster » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

I'd probably just leave it and see what happens:)
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Postby LAdd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for your feedback....much appreciated :)
LAdd
Weeder

Postby LAdd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:33 am

Just following up on the PH levels. I`ve taken numerous samples and seem to get a reading of 7 to 8. I`ve read conflicting views on the addition of sulphur and it`s effectiveness in lowering the ph of soils. I`m just wondering if this may be part of my issue? :?
LAdd
Weeder

Postby steveatmaleny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

See the leaves with the yellow edges and green stripe up the centre? My Banksia Oblongifolia plants have that. The yellow eventually takes over and the leaves turn brown and die. Does anyone know what causes it?
I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
- Rod Schmidt
steveatmaleny
Head Gardener

Postby steveatmaleny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:04 am

See the leaves with the yellow edges and green stripe up the centre? My Banksia Oblongifolia plants have that. The yellow eventually takes over and the leaves turn brown and die. Does anyone know what causes it? It is not frost damage.
I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
- Rod Schmidt
steveatmaleny
Head Gardener

Return to Australian Natives