Maintenance advice for crooked Grevillea and other

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Maintenance advice for crooked Grevillea and other

Postby ferrie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I've just cut back a very overgrown garden with two beautiful native plants (Grevillea and other can't remember the name) that I thought was healthy but turns out it is very crooked. The woody trunks are growing over a meter horizontally before straightening up. Now I'm not sure how to maintain it as the exposed trunks are unsightly. Should I prune it all back and hope for the best? Is it possible to propagate the cuttings?
Attachments
plant.jpg
ferrie
Lawn trimmer

Re: Maintenance advice for crooked Grevillea and other

Postby tam » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I don't think pruning will work but you have nothing to lose. Normally they are only cut back by a third.
The other plant could be a protea.
Last edited by tam on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:04 am

Any chance of a closer pic of the flowers on your plant please ferrie, to establish which type it is? Some grevilleas can be pruned quite hard. The tropical flowered ones in particular respond well in general.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ferrie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:17 am

Hi tam, pam thank you very much for your responses. here's some close up pictures which the two plants more clearly. the grevillea looks like ones which others have called "peaches and cream" although I can't be sure.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
ferrie
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:50 am

The Leucadendron I'm not sure of, but the grevillea I'm thinking SHOULD handle cutting hard, but please don't be in a rush. I'll check whether anyone I know has specifically done it with P&C and get back to you.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Prune leucadendron during and after flowering to keep the shrubs full and vigorous. Prune the branches above at least four leaves and never prune leafless branches. Clip off wilted flowers to keep the plant tidy and encourage the development of new blooms.
There is lots of sites if you google.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 am

I asked about these among a few gardening friends. No one has specifically done P&C, so you have 2 options :

1) play it safe, and prune above where there is currently foliage, then hope it reshoots lower down and you can progressively cut it back,

or
2) Figure that it's so far gone that you have nothing to lose by trying, and cut it back to around 30cm or so. Being the type of Grevillea that it is, there's a high likelihood that it will reshoot prolifically and be rejuvenated.

Re the leucadendron, it responds well, but as Tam says, don't cut below where there is foliage. You may have to do this one progressively as per #1 above.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Australian Natives