Kangaroo paw care

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Kangaroo paw care

Postby Rainbow7 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:22 pm

We've been trying for years to grow k. paws along our side fence where they get mainly morning sun. Most of the 8 have been replaced because they keep going brown and dying. We feed (with Dynamic Lifter) and water them sometimes and I've tried cutting them right down to get new growth, but there hasn't been much. The advice I've read says that they're low-maintenance but like full sun - could it just be that they need more sun? I look at other bushy kangaroo paws around and wonder what we're doing wrong! At the moment there are two which look ok, but they haven't flowered much, and one or two with just a couple of little leaf shoots, and the rest look dead.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Re: Kangaroo paw care

Postby Pam » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 am

They do like plenty of water. While they will survive with a minimal amount, they won't thrive.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Rainbow7 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Pam wrote:They do like plenty of water. While they will survive with a minimal amount, they won't thrive.

Ah, thank you for that. I watered them this morning and it's supposed to rain this weekend too. I thought that since they're natives and we get very little rain here through the summer that they'd be very drought-tolerant.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Postby karyn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:33 pm

They like a lot of water and a lot of fertiliser, but hate wet feet, so the drainage must be excellent.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Quenda » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:58 pm

I think the fertiliser may be the problem. I wouldn't use Dynamic Lifter with any native plants. Perhaps some slow release around the edge, not in the middle.

I have grown them here very well in sand, no fertiliser and water twice a week.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby Rainbow7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Quenda wrote:I think the fertiliser may be the problem. I wouldn't use Dynamic Lifter with any native plants. Perhaps some slow release around the edge, not in the middle.

Hmm, I thought since Dynamic Lifter was all nice and organic it was good for natives.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Postby Quenda » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:23 am

Rainbow7 wrote:
Quenda wrote:I think the fertiliser may be the problem. I wouldn't use Dynamic Lifter with any native plants. Perhaps some slow release around the edge, not in the middle.

Hmm, I thought since Dynamic Lifter was all nice and organic it was good for natives.

The DLifter you are using may be ok. I did a bit of a search and there appears they now have one that may be ok....perhaps a check on the directions on the pack would tell you if it is ok. I would still go with a slow release fertiliser suitable for Aust Native plants. Generally they don't need much at all.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby tam » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Agree they do like water.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Native do not like any other fertilizers other than native so that could be %99 of your problem. I used to live in Perth WA and the kangaroos paws there both in my garden and in kings park did well on root watering only. If possible avoid to much water on the leaves as this is where your flowers will eventually emerge(from the centre). My biggest problem was keeping the snails at bay. If drip watering can be in place that's the way I would go. I use to on occasions go into the bush and gather up OLD leaves from the bull banksia etc,this makes an ideal mulch for the paws and most natives It's more to it's natural environment. Hope this will be of help.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby karyn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Not true. Natives of the Proteaceae family only like native fertiliser, many others aren't at all fussy. You could feed your kangaroo Paws with anything, they would gobble it up. Dynamic Lifter is fine for them. A friend of mine is a native plant nurseryman of 55 years or so experience, and he dynamic lifters his regularly in an effort to detract nibbling rabbits.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Rainbow7 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks all - I've been watering them more and they've been doing a bit better. We'll see though - if they don't improve much we might replace them with something more drought-tolerant.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Return to Australian Natives