Dead grass tree... Alive???

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Dead grass tree... Alive???

Postby Ben01 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on this. My grass tree of 2 years which I purchased from a replant company had a very bad winter and died. I believe it was heavily infected with bugs or disease and as a result all of the foliage slowly died and fell out (despite attempts by me to save it with insecticides etc). Half way through spring all of the foliage had fallen out and all that was left was a black stump.

Now everything I have read everywhere on the Internet suggests that once a grass trees foliage had all died and fallen out the tree is dead and cannot be saved.

So after all the foliage was out we noticed that right in the crown it was very mushy and stinky. It was so soft I could push the crown down into itself and all these disgusting juices would squeeze up to the top!!! Then we noticed inside was lots of bugs - I assume mealy bugs or similar.

So for the past couple of months we've just left it there withe plan to remove it some time through summer and replace it with something else. On the hot few days we've had over spring we'd notice that the crown was slowly rising out of the body - as if the pressure from hot weather building up inside was pushing it up out of the tree. So we removed all the dead crown and again left it.

Now this is bizarre because I can not find anything even remotely like this on the Internet. But the tree is SHOOTING green foliage out of the sides up near the top. We noticed this the other day 3 shoots coming out from one spot clear as day. Upon further examination we found another spot with a few more green shoots coming out. And then today we have noticed another spot where green shoots coming through.

Can anyone explain this??? Seems very strange and we have no idea what's going on??? I will post a pic if I can ...
Ben01
Propagator

Re: Dead grass tree... Alive???

Postby Ben01 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:15 pm

2015-12-13 18.15.10.jpg
Okay so here it is ....
Ben01
Propagator

Re: Dead grass tree... Alive???

Postby tam » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Looks like it is still alive. Give it a drink of Seasol as that will help the soil and roots.
You will probably find it will branch on these new shoots.
If you do spray with insecticide, do it early morning or late afternoon as some will burn the leaves.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Australian Natives