Banksia care

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Banksia care

Postby Chris1410 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am

Hi

I have just purchased a new property and it has a beautiful banksia outfront.
The garden has not been cared for and the banksia was extremely overgrown by various other plants.
I've cleared them all out,and leveled off the soil to where I would like to have it, but
It has revealed the bulbous part of the stem. Is it ok to leave this exposed?
Another question. We will be putting in a new driveway, that will be quite close to the tree.
Would it hurt the tree if we cut through the part of the root that has lifted the current path?

Pics attached

Thanks
Chris
Attachments
image.jpeg
Chris1410
Lawn trimmer

Re: Banksia care

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 am

Hi Chris. Going by your description, there appears to be quite a bit of soil that has been removed around the roots. If it was literally just part of the bulbous part (can't think what this is called at the moment) I wouldn't be too concerned. Whether it would do any harm to leave it as is, I'm not sure, but I'd personally be concerned about the risk of damage to them.

I'm unsure whether you would get away with cutting through a root that size without potentially destabilising the plant; it would be a shame to lose something as big and gorgeous as this may be, in a storm. I'll ask around a bit and get back to you.

Something you DO need to consider, however, is that it may suffer from the high levels of lime that are going to leach from a concrete driveway being laid there.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Chris1410 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks Pam

I will try cover as much of the bulbous part as I can.
Thanks for looking into the roof question. I'm going to have a little dig this weekend to see have far it goes and how fat it is.

Thanks
Chris
Chris1410
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 am

I've had a few replies Chris, including one from a very knowledgeable lady who runs a big native nursery, and the general consensus is that it would not survive having the root cut.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Chris1410 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks very much Pam.

I'll speak to the builders and see what we can do
To not disturb the root

Thanks
Chris
Chris1410
Lawn trimmer

Postby dalelesley » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:47 pm

If you cut the base as you say you will kill the tree. Banksia is a native that does not like to much messing with. If it were me I would make this part a feature rather than change it.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Australian Natives