Pandorea pandorana planting question

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Pandorea pandorana planting question

Postby Doolally » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:26 pm

TrellisAB.jpg
TrellisAB.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 788 times

Hi all,

I am a gardening newbie and want to grow Australian natives down the side of my house mainly to have a more interesting view than my (shared) driveway, create some privacy and to attract some native birds. To start I've put in this moon gate and added some trellis to the back to grow Pandorea pandoranas (Wonga Wonga). I have 2, one for each side (white & orange).

My question is, where to plant them. I want one on each end but do I plant them in position 'A' against the trellis or position 'B' closest to the house and then up over the supports to the trellis side.

Maybe it doesn't matter but I want it to look great (from the windows) and be healthy!

Thanks!
Doolally
Doolally
Apprentice

Re: Pandorea pandorana planting question

Postby abwal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:36 pm

They are vigorous growers - and so are their roots. For this reason, I would plant them as far away from the house as possible. If you live in an older house that is likely to have clay pipes, make sure that your sewerage line is not close to the proposed planting site.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Have you considered Happy wanderer you can get that in white mauve and pink. They are a native and very hardy and can be pruned they do attract the birds as mine used to bring in a lot of New Holland Honey eaters and once it got well established they actually used to nest in it each year.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby Doolally » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for your replys! I've got a little ahead of this post now and have planted the Wonga wongas, they are about 2 meters from the house and I'm pretty sure there are no clay pipes nearby. Great to know though, I'll be keeping an eye on them and looking into the happy wanderers for future projects :D
Doolally
Apprentice

Return to Australian Natives