Dianella tasmanica dying from rust/other pest?

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Dianella tasmanica dying from rust/other pest?

Postby Fuzzyfot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,

Twelve months ago I planted a number of Dianella Tasmanica (Tasred) in my front garden underneath a paperbark tree in Perth, WA. They did extremely well during spring/summer/autumn but then towards the end of winter started to have the leaves discolour into yellow/brown, curl and eventually a number of entire plants died. I missed the onset of this as i had a newborn in early August so was pre-occupied and didn't notice until a number of plants were severely affected. You can see in one image below i had to remove about 7 of them.

I've attached a couple of photos which show small pockets of existing plants being affected, but regrettably didn't think of taking shots of the entire affected plants before binning them. I assumed that this was a fungus of some sort but haven't been able to find anything that might be the cause. I have since sprayed with lime sulfur and the plants pictured seem to have survived, but there has also been a temperature change since then. I have picked up replacement plants but don't want to plant them until i have an idea of what it might have been.

Does someone have a similar experience? Knowledge of what might cause this in the tasred? Would it be soil born fungus or a pest?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3600.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG
Fuzzyfot
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives