Lily Pilly Hedge Problem

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Lily Pilly Hedge Problem

Postby Schniz2 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi,

I planted a Cherry surprise Lily pilly hedge in October and all are doing well except for two on one end...
I have very well draining soil and dug in Lucerne hay and dinofert complete (in hindsight maybe not the best idea as it probably Has phosphorus)
11 of them have at least doubled in size with bushy growth and two have stayed about the same size with only a small amount of new growth.
About a month ago I spread some native fertiliser on the two not doing well but still no results... Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Have attached photos of a good one and a bad one.

Thanks.
Attachments
20170103_143922-1494x2656.jpg
Not doing well
20170103_143910.jpg
Doing well
Schniz2
Lawn trimmer

Re: Lily Pilly Hedge Problem

Postby Pam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:44 am

I'm guessing they're not getting the water that the others are. Is there any chance they're at the end of the line on your watering system, and the pressure is possibly not so good there, or that the nozzles are blocked?

If you can totally rule out lack of water as the cause I'd be doing a ph test to see if it differs there from the other sections of your hedge.

Incidentally, lilly pillies aren't sensitive to phosphorus, so you can use standard fertilisers on them, unless of course you have other natives nearby that are.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Lily Pilly Hedge Problem

Postby Schniz2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the reply, they should be getting the same amount of water, they are at the start of the drip line. I'll check for blockages.
I'll do a pH test and see if it's any different.
Thats interesting about Lily pillies and phosphorous, thanks for that tip ☺️
Schniz2
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives