Grafting Pimelea physodes/Qualup Bell

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Grafting Pimelea physodes/Qualup Bell

Postby JoshW88 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 am

After purchasing a Pimelea physodes from the Kings Park plant sale, I thought I'd try some grafting out, for the first time but after a lot of research. I used Pimelea ferruginea as the rootstock, and my new plant for taking scions. I used the top wedge graft. I only had 3 rootstock so that's how many I did. One of the 3 I was only able to match cambium on one side. It's now one month later and two are still going strong. The one the cambium was only matched on one side is going strongest! I can see the grafts are healing through the tape and plenty of new leaves and few new branches. :) I've got them in filtered sunlight under 1.25L plastic bottles with the bottoms cut off. These mini greenhouses have seemed to work great. I ultimately want to create a grafted grevillea standard, this is what has started the interest in grafting. So why not practice with some Qualup Bells! More beautiful plants if they're successful I thought. A week after grafting the first Qualup Bells I also attempted to graft 2 Grevillea bipinnatifida's onto Grevillea robusta and they're also still looking good. So 5 days ago I did another 7 Qualup Bells after getting more rootstock, and so far so good. Fingers crossed.

So after all that my question is has anyone had much experience in grafting natives, if so how long should I keep the newly grafted plants in their mini greenhouse, before I remove them to start the hardening off process. And any tips or tricks I'd appreciate in hardening off successfully. I'm rather excited that my first graft attempts are looking positive, and would hate them to go wrong now. I'm was thinking of removing the lid on the plastic bottle greenhouses in the next week or so, then the whole bottle a couple weeks after that. Then I'd start to introduce more sun. That's my thoughts anyway. Feel free to add any input. I've done a great deal of research, and have a general idea, just I can't find much from the home gardener like me about grafting native plants so thought I'd try here.

This is my first time posting to this forum,(long time reader!) so any help I'd appreciate.

Many Thanks,
Josh, 28, Mandurah, WA.
Attachments
IMG_1192.JPG
3 weeks after grafting
IMG_1191.JPG
3 weeks after grafting
JoshW88
Lawn trimmer

Re: Grafting Pimelea physodes/Qualup Bell

Postby karyn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 pm

If you're on Facebook, ask to join "Australian Native Plant Enthusiasts". You'll find everyone you've ever wanted to meet!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby JoshW88 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 am

karyn wrote:If you're on Facebook, ask to join "Australian Native Plant Enthusiasts". You'll find everyone you've ever wanted to meet!!

Thanks for your reply. I'm not on Facebook, I like to avoid it if I can but I might have to make an account to join some groups. Seems like these forums aren't as popular as Facebook groups. :)
JoshW88
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:25 am

No Josh, everyone has pretty much gone over there. The group that Karyn mentioned has many very knowledgeable native plants people.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby JoshW88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:53 am

Pam wrote:No Josh, everyone has pretty much gone over there. The group that Karyn mentioned has many very knowledgeable native plants people.

Thanks Pam I've made an account and joined the group you and Karyn have suggested. Cheers
JoshW88
Lawn trimmer

Return to Australian Natives