Bio Compost

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Bio Compost

Postby katnip » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm

I have been given a large bags of Bio compost there are no directions on how to use it

Could someone please advise me on the correct procedure eg. how much would I mix with my garden soil

Usually we use mushroom compost in the flower garden and this works well wondering would the bio compost be better and why

would appreciate any advice given
katnip
Weeder

Re: Bio Compost

Postby HortMaster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

As far as I understand bio compost is made from composted green waste and animal manure. Mushroom compost is the used media from mushroom farming, usually made from composted straw, wood products and animal manure. So based on that i would imagine that bio compost would have more benificial biological and nutritional qualities to it, as unlike mushroom compost it hasn't been used to grow anything. But they're both obviously soil conditioner and soil conditioner is soil conditioner to me. Manure, compost.. it all achieves the same thing. We have dry sands here so I usually put about 20-30 litres of soil conditioner per square metre... to a depth of 300mm when preparing a new area. A handful of blood and bone never hurts anyone either.
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Re: Bio Compost

Postby DavidHamilton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks to HortMaster for sharing the correct procedures on using compost in its best way yet to achieve results. Instead of letting the compost go to waste in storage, it is better to use it when it is still new so as to condition the plants to its maximum capability. We cannot simply pour as much or as little we think is true, because the plants might end up dying or not growing well enough if the quantity is wrong.
DavidHamilton
Apprentice

Return to Sustainable Gardening