Worm farm critters with shells!

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Worm farm critters with shells!

Postby lopan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi everybody,
Ive seen a few worm farm critter questions on here but didn't want to hijack any threads and i think the critters in mine are unique. In all the searching for an identification of these things i have come up with no results.
I have attached some pictures to help give you all a better idea but there are hundreds of these things in my worm farm and they look like little sea creatures in a small shell. I have no idea what they are, can anyone help :?:
Should i be worried or are they harmless?
thanks!
Attachments
IMG_7991.JPG
IMG_7988.JPG
lopan
Lawn trimmer

Re: Worm farm critters with shells!

Postby Pam » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 am

It's a snail of some sort. There certainly appears to be a few of them.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 pm

I've never seen snails like that before. Send a photo to the DPI?

After a bit of research......try Tucker's Awl-Snail (Eremopeas tuckeri) or Spike Awl-Snail (Lamellaxis clavulinus).
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby lopan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks for the help, certainly does appear to be those Awl-snails. Did a little googling and they should be fine in there with the worms.
Will have to keep an eye on them thou, make sure they dont get too out of control.
Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated :)
lopan
Lawn trimmer

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Usually snails and slugs are a sign that your farm is too wet - and ants are an indication it's too dry. I get slugs in my farm - not quite sure how they get in, but I flick them out when I find them. I don't believe I water it excessively - maybe 3-4L once a week to provide the worm juice. In my opinion, there's nothing good about snails and slugs though. I've seen aquatic snails that look like that in aquarium shops...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:20 am

GoldenWattle wrote:Usually snails and slugs are a sign that your farm is too wet -

It does look fairly sludgy in the pic. May I ask what you used for bedding Lopan?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:06 am

GoldenWattle wrote:Usually snails and slugs are a sign that your farm is too wet - and ants are an indication it's too dry. I get slugs in my farm - not quite sure how they get in, but I flick them out when I find them. I don't believe I water it excessively - maybe 3-4L once a week to provide the worm juice. In my opinion, there's nothing good about snails and slugs though. I've seen aquatic snails that look like that in aquarium shops...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

Native snails and slugs ARE good.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby lopan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Pam,
The bedding is a mixture of what was included in the pack to begin with which a coconut fibre mix i believe, and then the composted vegie scraps that are on top.
I think one of the pictures shows it to be a fair bit more sludgy than it actually is, i think it was the cameras flash that did that.
And I usually only put about 1 litre or so a week on there, and Im in Brisbane so wouldnt think it would get so wet :? Who knows.
Will leave it all at the moment and see if they settle themselves out. :)
lopan
Lawn trimmer

Return to Sustainable Gardening