more worm farm buggies

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

more worm farm buggies

Postby heather81 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:47 am

Hello there,

Sorry to ask another similar worm farm question regarding potentially unwanted invaders.... but, we recently inherited a home-made worm farm from a friend with three polystyrene trays. We are learning how to use it and appreciate it!

We have revived it with a bit of rain and a bit of veggie scraps and worms seem to be doing well, however it came complete with cockroaches (yuk) and now an absolute explosion of tiny brown round "bugs" all over the damp newspaper and scraps. There were hundreds and now a couple of days later I would say thousands. I am hoping they are harmless and not baby cockies or something horrid that I dont want near the house?! I've attached some pics, sorry for poor resolution, but if anyone could put my mind at ease I would be so grateful. We live in Perth.

Thank you!

DSC01026.JPG

DSC01024.JPG
heather81
Lawn trimmer

Re: more worm farm buggies

Postby tam » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:15 pm

The first pic made me think baby snails but the second pic seems a lot of snails to hatch out.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby heather81 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks Tam, I hadn't thought of snails but although I haven't picked one up to inspect it, there seems to be alot of "crawling" going on rather than snail-ly slithering! I would suspect there are little legs under each of those thousands of critters! They move pretty quickly.
heather81
Lawn trimmer

Postby bubba louie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Probably a mite of some kind.

I found this.......
Q) What are the red and brown mites in the worm farm?

A) They do not harm the worms and are composters too, they help to break down the fibrous materials. If present in large proportions – leave the lid off the farm and expose the surface of the bedding to sunlight.

Also here...........

http://brisbanelocalfood.ning.com/forum ... nt%3A24295
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby heather81 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Woohoo! Thank you, you've solved it for me, after checking Google Images i'm convinced you are correct.

Time to implement some "mite reduction strategies" methinks!

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
heather81
Lawn trimmer

Return to Sustainable Gardening