moving a very large tank

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

moving a very large tank

Postby kitkat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas how to move a large poly tank. It is 4meters diameter x 2.4 high (22,500 litres) and just too big and heavy for me to tip it on to where it needs to be? I pulled it onto it's side with ropes and the ute and rolled it so far, but can't do that against the side of the house where it is to go.No manoeuvering room at all.I have rolled it to edge of the sand pad but cannot tip it onto the pad which is against the house. It is new so I don't want to risk damaging it either.
Ideas anyone please?
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Re: moving a very large tank

Postby chocolate » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:07 pm

hi, an idea which we have used with good results is to lay round poles as thick a diameter as you can get....borrow or steal....in front of the tank,the area where it is to go,with the tank sitting upright,base to the ground push the tank onto the poles and roll over the next poles,removing the front ones when you can see they are no longer needed.I f you dont have enough poles for that large tank..take the front ones and place at the back till it is in place.
The front ones would be the ones next to you when it is being pushed over the poles.
I hope this helps,you can improvize this system.
We have moved a large spa pool along a deck with this method.[empty]
chocolate
Curator

Postby kitkat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks for sharing that.Unfortunately the tank has been rolled into position n its side and I need to tip it onto its base which I cannot do as it is too heavy to lift /tilt until it goes over.
The roll on the logs is great idea if it was on its base- thanks.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby karyn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Here's a link to an old post regarding my tanks...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9488&hilit=+tank#p108850.....scroll down to read the second installment!

I ended up having a "stand the tanks up" bbq and invited some friends to help, we stood them where they needed to go quite easily, I think there were 8 of us.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Good one Karyn,
Unfortunately having just moved there I don't know anyone - have met only one person so far, there are only about ten houses in the vicinity - sort of a village and as I have worked away most of the time since I brought it, I haven't had much chance to get to know anyone.That will change in March when I will be there permanently. My friend is caretaking it but is not a gardener or outdoorsy at all and will be glad to leave when I get back I think. Ten klm from shops !! My God!!!! LOL
My family lives 3000 klm away too! LOL I did drop it once when I hooked the ute to it but it fell onto the old sand pad I had made originally fortunately with no obvious damage.Hope it doesn't spring a leak later.

Never mind- it was just a hope there might be a trick I had missed. I have just arrived back at work in Saudi for a week or so, so have a while to think on it. I may just get the plumber to come and tip it over with a forklift, as he has to do the plumbing and give me a certificate, if I am to get the rebate . It is to be plumbed to my toilet which is why it had to be moved from the delivery point- late decision. DUH Sue! LOL
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 am

Poor Kitkat. The biggest problem is that you're dealing with probably around 400 kg's of plastic. No mean feat.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm

yep - the darn thing is simply to heavy to push over. I have sent an email to the plumber so maybe it will be done when I get home- here's hoping he reads his emails! LOL There is lot of rain due today and tomorrow they say, so it would be nice if it caught some.To say nothing of high winds I hope the chocks I put under it hold.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Lou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 am

What is your closest big town, Kitkat, just in case I know anyone down there who could help you? We can always hope that your plumber has some strong mates. :D
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Postby Longy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:41 am

Do you have a local country fire brigade there?
I imagine there is some form of similar organisation which meets regularly.
A carton of beer will have your tank spotted in no time.
Gauranteed! :wink:
Longy
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks for the idea Longy and you too Lou.
I emailed my plumber to move it as I am stuck overseas a bit longer than I expected.
Just hope it didn't blow away in the meantime.
Should be home soon though.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Sustainable Gardening