Growing veggies in a bath tub

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Growing veggies in a bath tub

Postby countrygirl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am

Hi,

This is my first post here. Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to grow veggies in an old bath tub. I want to grow root crops eg carrots, onions, shallots in the tub as our soil is very heavy.

Has anyone had any success with this. Would love to hear all suggestions.

Thank you
countrygirl
Apprentice

Re: Growing veggies in a bath tub

Postby jack » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 am

first thing i would do is put a layer, maybe a inch or two thick of gravel/ broken bricks/ crushed rock etc at the bottom of bath, this will help it drain. i have seen heaps of people growing in old baths, so you should have no problems, it is after all a giant pot. with my larger raised bed its almost height of a bath tub and takes a lot of soil to fill, buy a bail of hay it will help with the filling process, mix it with you soil as you fill.
jack
Head Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:56 pm

jack wrote:first thing i would do is put a layer, maybe a inch or two thick of gravel/ broken bricks/ crushed rock etc at the bottom of bath, this will help it drain. i have seen heaps of people growing in old baths, so you should have no problems, it is after all a giant pot. with my larger raised bed its almost height of a bath tub and takes a lot of soil to fill, buy a bail of hay it will help with the filling process, mix it with you soil as you fill.

I've used broken up styrofoam boxes in big pots. Heaps lighter to work with.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 pm

bubba louie wrote:I've used broken up styrofoam boxes in big pots. Heaps lighter to work with.

True, but if you're starting off with a bathtub, I'm assuming you're not likely to pick it and move it around once it's filled. It's a great tip for pots though! :wink: I have a few pots I struggle to move on my own...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Your bathtub will make a great vegie garden as long as the drainhole stays open .Put a piece of insect screen or wire over it so it doesn't clog with dirt.
Add lots of compost and keep it friable and moist. It usual to not plant the same things in the same place each year to avoid disease transfer, so you will need to change ends and rotate your crops from one year to the next.

Too rich - and your carrots will be all tops and forked roots, but everything else will love it.Good luck and enjoy.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby jack » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

yes make sure you have something over drain hole, wire or something, a friend at work told me yesterday he found a snake living in his bath bed.
with my large bed i did add some bulk to help fill it, a old cane basket and a lot of cardboard and straw
jack
Head Curator

Return to Sustainable Gardening