Frogs

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Frogs

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I've been encouraged by the spotting of two frogs in the pool area in the span of a week. About a week ago, I found a Spotted Marsh Frog (see photo below) swimming in our salt water pool - poor fella. I scooped it out, washed it in the bird bath and released him into a clump of poa tufting native grass. This morning, I was filling up my garden waste bin with fallen palm fronds when I noticed another one - might have been a common froglet. Knowing that these guys are around is causing me to think again about making a pond for them.

It also makes me realise that certain things we consider unsightly provides shelter to these critters. I kind of felt bad about removing the palm fronds. I've got some logs from felled tree branches that I'll try to position around the garden to provide shelter. I also see skinks around the garden and I think they like the pile of twigs I've built up in one spot. In the past, I used to burn them off when the pile got too big, but maybe I should make lots of smaller piles.

I find it interesting though that just within my small patch, I can observe how my actions impact on the fauna. I sowed native grass seeds a couple of months ago and these are supposed to provide good shelter to the frogs and skinks. Hopefully I'll see lots more of them.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: Frogs

Postby Pam » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

What a cool dude!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Agreed Pam, lovelly looking frog GW! 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:23 am

Very envious.

I'm doing all the right things but frog sightings are still extremely rare. :?

This one was about a year ago and only one other since then, and it was crossing the road going away. :roll:

“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 am

I'd happily lend you a few thousand after the rain Bubba. They really get up a racket during the night when there has been rain. Then there's the fellow that 'plop'. 'plop', 'plop's his way back accross the roof each morning at daybreak. :roll: :lol:

While you're doing the right thing in your garden, you can't control what methods, chemicals etc your neighbours use, unfortunately.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Love your frogs - and photos - GoldenWattle and Bubba :D

We thought our frogs had all disappeared over the years' droughts ... however, with the recent rains, we also are thrilled to suddenly hear them singing in our garden again.

Do you know what species yours are? You can check them out here - http://frogs.org.au/frogs - and again I say - love your photos - they're beautiful 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby snakecharma » Thu May 12, 2011 8:20 pm

one of the first things we did when we moved in was set up a little frog habitat in the sheltered tree area down the back. I sunk a cheap round plastic washing up tub into the ground, added water & a broken tile, within 6 months there were tadploes. The only adult frog we have seen is the striped marsh frog, but have observed different types of tadpoles and heard calls other than the marsh frog - think it may be a perons tree frog.

Unfortunately, a striped marsh frog is NOT something you want to hear outside your window at 2am - exactly like a tap dripping onto an upside down metal bucket :evil:

:mrgreen:
If Life gives you lemons - squirt someone in the eye!

Please visit & like my page! - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sterling-Snakes/378011622339478
snakecharma
Groundsperson

Postby MacMaples » Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Lovely photos. :)
Where we used to live we could hear frogs in the distance, it was lovely. I understand though that right outside the bedroom window at night isn't quite so pleasant.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby Lea » Wed May 18, 2011 5:08 pm

They're beautiful :) The Spotted Marsh Frog, especially -- great photo, GW 8)

Bubba Louie -- isn't that the same type of Green Tree Frog that we see for sale as pets?

Our garden's are Southern Brown Tree Frogs -- I'll try to get some more-recent photos ... (sn)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Modesty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 pm

I have a large pond for frogs, with a steel mesh cover that is going rusty. I have never had any frogs- does anyone know if frogs are sensitive to iron? It have quite a bit of vegetation around and in it, and a good population of beetles, dragonflies etc, but no frogs. Some tadpoles and little frogs we put in (rescue from kinder class) also disappeared.

Any ideas? I would love to have it populated.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Modesty wrote:I have a large pond for frogs, with a steel mesh cover that is going rusty. I have never had any frogs- does anyone know if frogs are sensitive to iron? It have quite a bit of vegetation around and in it, and a good population of beetles, dragonflies etc, but no frogs. Some tadpoles and little frogs we put in (rescue from kinder class) also disappeared.

Does the steel mesh cover prevent the frogs from getting into the pond?

Have you got fish in the pond that would eat the tadpoles?

What else is in the area? Neighbourhood cats? Are there any natural waterways that the frogs might choose over your pond?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Modesty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 am

now it is a wide mesh designed to stop kids drowning, thats all. We have cats, but they have a drink every so often. No other waterways really close. I did put some native fish in the pond, but they disappeared as well.

I never see anything hanging around there to be eating things, so I am bewildered!

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Do you (or your neighbours) use insecticides?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 pm

no. The pond does get leaf fall from a she oak, not sure if this would make a difference either.

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm not sure if you have a pH test kit - the fact that nothing lives in the pond (ie. your introduced fish have died) is a sure sign something is wrong. Do you use filtration? What did you use for the liner? What kind of plants have you got (some plants remove oxygen from the water)?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Modesty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I've never tested pH, I shall try it. I have beetles and dragonflies and snails in it. Plants include nardoo, a couple of rush spikey things, a couple of other water plants whose names I have forgotten. It does get a bit choked sometimes. I don't have it filtered, and we used black plastic to line it.

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby bottletree » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

During a recent trip to Elliott Heads, the rental home (which had some interesting drainage issues) had a lot of frogs/toads about... figured I'd post photos here for people to ID (if interested!).

bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

how lovely !!!!
don't know which ones they are either, but definitely frogs.....we have to look them up ! not fair, haven't seen any like your first one !!!!........ hmmm :wink:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Just going off this website, http://frogs.org.au/frogs/of/Queensland/

Think one of them is the Salmon-striped Frog...
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 am

Last one is a white lipped tree frog, commonly referred to as a green tree frog (Litoria infrafrenata
Pam
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Sustainable Gardening