Brown Composting Material

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Brown Composting Material

Postby thebeeluva » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Guys,

My first post here so hoping I'm in the right room.

I've recently started composting for the first time and so far wondered why I'd waited so long to do it....it's great!! Having a 1 year old son we've found our fruit and veg peelings have gone through the roof so what better way to reuse it. We're using a 220l plastic compost bin for now and with kitchen scraps, grass clippings, some paper, and dried material from plants around the garden things look as if they're going well. I have noticed fruit fly present whenever I open the lid but after covering up the heap more with either grass clippings or even full paper sheets they seem to have gone...I'm assuming my kitchen scraps simply weren't covered up enough.

The main issue I am having now is that my garden is still a work in progress having built our house 3 years ago. My back garden consists of just flower beds so far with lawn to go down this winter/spring. With that I'm really struggling to find "brown" material to put in the compost. When I started the bin off I did a bit of a tidy up of the flower beds and now no longer have any of the dead material to go in along with the greens.

I thought of buying a bail of pea straw thinking this would be a good solution to this problem however it was suggested to me to be a bad idea as straw takes a long time to break down. Is this true?? If so what other options do I have to add to my compost?

Also, we have a relative that trains horses. Is horse manure a good option for compost like ours?

Thanks for any advise you may be able to provide..
Matt
thebeeluva
Apprentice

Re: Brown Composting Material

Postby bubba louie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:44 pm

I've never heard of straw taking too long to break down, but then I've never put it in a bin either. I'd be inclined to try it anyway. Do you own a mulcher? You could put it through to speed things up a bit.

Horse poo's great. If it's out of a stable it'll be very strong because it'll have urine mixed in with whatever they use for bedding. Sawdust is pretty common in stables so try not to put too much of that in.

The little flies aren't fruit fly either. They're commonly known as vinegar flies or sour flies and they do no harm.

By the way....welcome to the forum. :D
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: Brown Composting Material

Postby thebeeluva » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks heaps for your reply bubba...

And thanks to the forum i'm already looking at buying a tumbler too. :)
thebeeluva
Apprentice

Return to Sustainable Gardening