Grubs in Compost

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Grubs in Compost

Postby windsock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 am

my compost has become home to a large number of grubs, ranging in size from 1-2cm long to big monsters larger than my thumb. The grubs generally curl when i dig at them, and have distinct black 'noses'. My compost is mainly grass clippings and food scraps with a bit of a lack of brown material. Are these normal, and will they harm either my compost pile, or more importantly the plants in the garden where I spread the compost?

thanks
windsock
Apprentice

Re: Grubs in Compost

Postby Getafix » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Any chance of posting some photos?

Sound like curl grubs maybe? Check out this post for links to some photos:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12061

The other grub that i find in my compost, often in plague proportions, is what i'm pretty sure are black soldier fly larvae:

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/2008/06/ ... pathogens/

In general, i'm pretty tolerant of grubs/bugs/beetles etc in my compost, but some can indicate that the pile is a bit anaerobic, especially if its mainly greens in there. Could be worth adding some browns, and giving it a good turn every couple of days (i use one of those giant green corkscrew thingys and it is fantastic...the tradename escapes me at the moment)
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Re: Grubs in Compost

Postby bubba louie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:39 pm

They all help break it down so I wouldn't be concerned.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Sustainable Gardening