Earthworms and composting worms

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Earthworms and composting worms

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone else tried putting the two of these together. At one stage, I introduced earthworms that were in the soil when I cleaned out the gutter at the bottom of my driveway into my compost tumbler. They really seem to like it in there. I don't know if they reproduced (can't say I know much about the lifecycle of earthworms), but every time I turned the tumbler, I'd see worms teaming at the surface.

I have a worm farm which I used for about a year, but which eventually went into disuse. There were still plenty of worms in it, so I scooped a heap of castings with worms still in them and added it to the compost heap. I've added food scraps since and have avoided turning it so I could see if the composting worms feed on it. Watermellon rinds have always been a favourite of the worms and there seem to be plenty of worms on it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any reason why earthworms and composting worms might not happily co-exist.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: Earthworms and composting worms

Postby Coustralee » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:37 pm

I think they can live together to a degree, but the main difference is the earthworm goes deeper into the soil, while compost worms are more into the leaf litter - some types prefer deeper than others. I've read of some people having a mix of compost worms in their farms to deal with this.

Some people put a few compost worms in their compost bins.. but earth worms in the worm farms isnt really doable.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Re: Earthworms and composting worms

Postby LowMaintenance » Sat May 24, 2014 6:53 pm

This is interesting. I have a worm farm and have had the ongoing battle to protect them from ants. The other day I found a MASSIVE earthworm in my farm.

If the earthworm is naturally occurring (ie not introduced by me), this will be ok, yes?
LowMaintenance
Apprentice

Return to Sustainable Gardening