'Greening Up' your dishwasher

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Re: 'Greening Up' your dishwasher

Postby Pam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't know Sam, but it's good for cleaning out beer bottle for home brew. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Wanderer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Not so sure about washing soda Sam.
But I do know that lemon juice, vinegar or bi -carb are good.

My father was a washing machine mechanic for nearly 50 years and swore by these.
He also said to never use powder (only liquid) in a machine. That is was too caustic? Or if you had powder then to dissolve it first?
He died over 20 years ago now so god only knows what he would think about todays detergents :shock:
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby tam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Yes it does keep the pipes clean and it is a water softener as well. Lets your detergent work better.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Sam wrote:
tam wrote:Sam, I used to buy bulk washing soda off them but now hubby is retired I just buy it at the supermarket. They certainly sell some different things now.
The guy who installed our biocycle told me what to use and we have had no trouble in 12 yrs.
NP laundry detergent & washing soda, clean the toilet with Jif and we have a liquid that I flush 3 monthly if I remember :oops:
Hair dye is bad and when I use cleaners around the house I throw the water on the driveway stones.
Same if I soak something in bleach.

Okay - you've reminded me about washing soda.

I'm trying to remember if this is the product to put through the washing machine every 3 months or so to keep all the pipes nice, clean and supple.

Any thoughts?

I thought that was vinegar.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:43 am

Sam wrote:Did you do this from the start of your dishwasher or later?

I've wanted to, but was worried about putting the vinegar in the rinse aid and having a chemical reaction.

You're going to get a very minimal reaction with the small amount of bicarb that would be left by that stage Sam, and even then the vinegar would be so dilute it just wouldn't happen.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Wanderer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Washing soda is usually used as a water softener.
Bi Carb Soda or Vinegar will clean your machine.
I usually put a cupful on a hot cycle. Gets rid of the soap scum build up.
Especially good if you use powered detergents.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby betr2garden » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Very entertaining and interesting.

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try this out, especially at the cost of brand name cleaners and total lack of trust in cheaper versions (only waste half the money twice as often). I'm almost looking forward to the bath bomb. At least the bubbles will clean the kitchen floor safely, too.

I have travelled the world (via the ether) looking for sensible, simple ideas and end up back home. While I was reading I saw Morayfield in a comment and, as I have a friend living there, looked at where commenters live. Nice surprise to see Wanderer is from my sunny (this week) Central Coast NSW.

Looking forward to learning and sharing here.
Kerri
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Wanderer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 am

Lol betr2garden
Enjoy the sunshine while you can. I don't think it's going to stay around too long......
Already clouding up while I type :(
Wanderer
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Pam wrote:
Sam wrote:Did you do this from the start of your dishwasher or later?

I've wanted to, but was worried about putting the vinegar in the rinse aid and having a chemical reaction.

You're going to get a very minimal reaction with the small amount of bicarb that would be left by that stage Sam, and even then the vinegar would be so dilute it just wouldn't happen.

You all keep misunderstanding what Sam meant.

It's a reaction between the vinegar and any rinse aid that may still be in the dispenser that she's concerned about. Not the vinegar and bicarb.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Pam,
I apologise for being flippant about the bath bombs. I understood what Sam said.

I think this is a great idea and glad to hear it works fine. Saving the world with no change to our life except what is still in our pockets; brilliant!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby tam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

I tried a bicarb wash and wasn't impressed so ended up redoing the load with normal detergent.
Quiet a few things just didn't look clean to me.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby betr2garden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm

I was at the shops this evening and happened to pick up the washing soda. It is sodium carbonate crystals and says it is a water softener. I think some might use it to remove stains, but you'd need to take care as it is a lot more alkaline (toward caustic) then bi-carb and might damage cloth.

Baking Soda is of course what we call Bi-Carb (bicarbonate of sodium OR sodium hydrogen carbonate). Some people use Baking soda in the laundry as it is gentler, but it isn't that good at removing stains as it dissolves really easily in water.

They are both salts, both crystals (but bi-carb is usually seen as powder). If you use bi-carb for cleaning, you could put your gloves and mask on and use Washing Soda to clean heavy stains like grease off the tiles.

PS After I left this post, I went to the kitchen cupboard and thought 'people also get confused between bi-carb (baking soda) and baking powder'. So...
Baking Soda is straight bicarbonate of sodium (bi-carb). It's an ingredient in recipes as a raising agent or as a tenderiser (using the reaction it has with acid ingredients to produce carbon dioxide). You have to be careful not to add too much as food will get a bitter taste.

Baking Powder is a mixture of bi-carb, an acid (such as tartaric acid) and sometimes some other ingredients (like rice flour). You can get single acting (bake the mix immediately) or double acting (you can get away with leaving the mix a while before baking as the second reaction occurs when heated). If you run out of self-raising flour you can add 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder per cup to Plain Flour and sift a few times. You can use Baking Powder in place of bi-carb if you have to, but will need more.

So, for the dishwasher it is Bi-Carb soda (also called Baking SODA) we want to use.
Last edited by betr2garden on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 am

That's interesting info - thanks betr2garden. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Yes it is and if your electric kettle gets too scummy inside just boil some vinegar in the water ,rinse and reboil fresh water for fresh clean kettle- great stuff vinegar. Bi-Carb IS Sodium Bi Carbonate so yes it has salts of a kind in it but not actual sea or cooking salt.it would build upin the soil eventually though to the detriment of your plants long term.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby palerider » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

It is the same. I do cleaning for an old lady down the road. I HAVE TO use washing soda to clean all the stove and oven stuff, including the overhead fan cover. It makes the grease and fat just drop off. I was amazed, then remembered my Mum used it as well.
I always wanted to be someone when I grew up;
I realise now I should have been more specific
palerider
Propagator

Postby Geoff Clifton » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I got a s/h washing machine (laundry) and gave it a thorough clean before I used it. I pulled out the agitator and inner bowl and OMG you would not believe the caked soap, hair and gunk. Scrubbing brush and pressure washer task.

For a year I have used half or less of the recommended amount of Earth laundry liquid and put half a cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener cup in the center of the agitator. Everything always smells fresh, including the machine but as a bonus when I recently pulled the agitator and bowl out to investigate a fault (which turned out to be electronic) I was very pleasantly surprised to find everything spotless and as clean as when I started a year ago.

Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am

I've wanted to try that, Geoff, but I don't have a fabric softener dispenser on my machine.

Shannon Lush advocates using about 1/4 of the recommended dose of detergent and adding bi carb soda with it and then the vinegar in the final rinse.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby betr2garden » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am

Well, some months later...
I never did try the bi-carb soda in the dishwasher as I decided that, as it immediately reacts on contact with liquid, it wouldn't be effective. I don't feel like trying anything stronger in case it deteriorates the machine. I did, however add vinegar instead of commercial rinse aid. It seemed okay but obviously didn't dry anything. I continued using it for several refills. Then, one day, I didn't bother filling it and there was absolutely NO difference. Sorry, no conversion here.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby AdamBorzy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm

That's interesting but I'd rather use the detergent for now. :)
AdamBorzy
Groundsperson

Previous

Return to Sustainable Gardening