Snails and Slaters control

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Snails and Slaters control

Postby raccoon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 am

I have a big snail and slater infestation in my garden beds,the snails are eating everything in site and the slaters are out of control,so i made these traps to control them. made one to see if they worked and after 7 days when i returned there was about 10cm of dead snails and slaters bottom of the container witch is filled with home brew beer,It seem to work so i make a few more and put them around the garden
Attachments
2012-09-20 17.38.25.jpg
2012-09-20 16.02.39.jpg
2012-09-20 15.49.07.jpg
raccoon
Pruner

Re: Snails and Slaters control

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 am

Nice! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:47 am

Nice work on the snails - but slaters are good guys. They come along after the snails and slugs have done the initial damage and eat the dead and dying plants. If you have masses though, a few less won't matter. Now...if only that worked for harlequin bugs!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby palerider » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 am

Beer has worked well for years, AND, a use for those plastic bottles!! Snails and slugs are the Devil's spawn, they decimate my strawberries, and anything they can get a mouth part onto.
I also use the iron chelate snail bait stuff. Harmless and effective. Can't remember the brand..maybe multiguard?? It has none of those horrible things, like Metaldehyde etc. Safe for Brad, my little dog...
I always wanted to be someone when I grew up;
I realise now I should have been more specific
palerider
Propagator

Postby raccoon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 pm

The traps are only catching a few snails still loosing young seedlings trying this leaf gutter guard,i`m thinking the snails don`t like the sharp points of the guard and will not crawl over it,see what happens
Attachments
lettuce snail barrier.jpg
Cap snail barrier.jpg
strawberry snail barrier.jpg
raccoon
Pruner

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 am

Are you sure they're not already inside the bed now though racoon?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby GrantCC » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:59 am

I had some of those little snail traps that you can buy at Bunnings and they did work OK, although the space for the big ones wasn't big enough for them to get in , but the best way I've found is to go out on a wet night with a torch and just catch them. Then drown them in a bucket of soapy water. My wife hates me to crush them and that's messy besides. A concentrated effort and a catch of a hundred (sometimes 200 or more!) or so seems to control their activity for a while.

Good luck,
Grant
http://tinyurl.com/grantandbrendasgarden
Last edited by GrantCC on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantCC
Propagator

Postby palerider » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am

My friends here use a rubbish bin full of water. They just throw in the snails and put the lid on. After some months, about once a year, the snails have turned into high energy tea, a rubbish bin full of good food for plants. Ironic and satisfying.!!
palerider
Propagator

Postby raccoon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I am constantly looking in the beds for them day and night,just want to try keep them out while i`m away working for the 8 days i am away,and gave in had to resort to using snail bait,using the iron chelate bait.

I was trying to grow the vegies with out any use of pesticides but sometimes you just have to use it to get ahead.
raccoon
Pruner

Postby palerider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:09 am

Iron Chelate isn't a bad chemical, you could eat them yourself. It's what I use, and it works well. The metaldehyde in the others is the bad one.
Iron chelate just puts iron in the soil, and some cornflour, a winner all round. Great you found 'em, they're a bit hard to get some places.
They don't deter slaters, but, as Karyn says, slaters don't attack good crops. they just clean up after the others have wrecked your crops.
palerider
Propagator

Return to Sustainable Gardening