Parsley and ladybirds

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Parsley and ladybirds

Postby Geoff Clifton » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 am

We've had a wonderful and unexpected (unknown) companion planting result this year. As I spent most of the past 18 months away (hooray I'm back home) the garden didn't get it's usual attention, just the occasional backyard blitz on visits.

Any'ow.......

We have always grown parsley, far more than we use, and I would normally pull it once it starts to bolt. That didn't happen this year and we still still have a couple of stands of chest high plants with seed umbrellas in various stages but ........ as soon as the seed umbrellas formed their little green heads they were home to lot's of baby ladybirds, good ones not the 28 spotted mongrels. We still had a fair few brassicas in the beds, bock choy, spinach and NZ swede flowering for seed. Normally these remnants would be devastated by white butterfly caterpillars but this year they had company and loads of them, ladybird larvae. These little grubs, known by their appearance as baby alligators, have a voracious appetite which includes the white butterfly eggs and larvae and also the 28 spotted ladybird eggs and larvae. Not perfect control but I'd guess an 80% reduction of WB and 90% 0f 28's grubs.

Between 28's and powdery mildew our zuchs used to look terrible even tho they still fruited. Between the ladybirds and the bicarb spray this year they are looking wonderful.

This result has also made us very careful about even thinking of using pyrethrum spray and when we have it is only very carefully on the one plant. I mentioned NZ swede so another thread on them.

Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Re: Parsley and ladybirds

Postby Wanderer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am

Sounds good Geoff. Must check and see if my parsely has any ladybugs
I wish I could grow more parsely than we needed. I think the husband picks too much of it too soon.
I remember posting a while back that I could never get my parsely looking as lush as many seem able to do.

What is the Bi Carb spray you mention and how and on what do you use it?
Cheers
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Re: Parsley and ladybirds

Postby Geoff Clifton » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:18 am

The bicarb spray is an early treatment / preventative for powdery mildew. I think the the spray may also assist instead of copper oxy for rose black spot and grape fungal.

In a liter of water (I use a 750mL spray & wipe bottle)
2 teaspoons bicarb
2 drops dish wash liquid
1 teaspoon vegetable (I use olive) oil.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Return to Sustainable Gardening