My compost

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

My compost

Postby karyn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 am

I'm quite passionate about my compost. It's a simple system, 2 permanent cages with galv across the front, and everything goes on in layers. At the end of Summer, I empty them. The dry stuff around the edges forms the base of the new pile. Water is key, it must be slightly moist so in Summer I occasionally tip my greywater water onto the pile to keep it cooking. Dry compost is useless. I layer with weeds and lawn clippings - this is the green layer, and leaves, paper, straw, poo - this forms a brown layer. I try to do one brown followed by one green, but it never works out that way in reality. I have a few favourite spots where I go to get autumn leaves each year, and friends give me their lawn clippings sometimes. The pictures are of a temporoary one I built as I needed compost in another part of the garden. It's not terribly attractive, but it's working well.

005.JPG
This is the start of a new pile. I needed the compost in this garden bed so that's where I put the cage. The tomato stakes weren't really strong enough so it sagged terribly, but still worked well.

009.JPG
This is what it currently looks like, I've run out of leaves and grass clippings so it probably won't get much higher than this. Doesn't look like much - looks dry and unattractive.
010.JPG
But once you scrape away the top layer, it's actually beautiful compost, full of worms and moist and friable. Good enough to eat!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: My compost

Postby lilly60 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Yum! Great work Karyn! I remember many years ago that I used to make cow pat soup. Collect old cow pats from paddocks and bring them home (in a big plastic bag) then put half the haul into a domestic rubbish bin (remember the old days when we all had those) and fill with water. Let it sit (stirring daily) until dissolved. It made great liquid fertiliser - particularly for my fox gloves I was keen on and growing at the sime (going back to the 80's now!). Alas, my composting is not as grand as yours and I envy your efforts. :)
lilly60
Groundsperson

Postby karyn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Hahahaha Mum recently made a big bin full of chicken dropping soup, except that the weather turned ridiculously hot and it actually started bubbling...it was putrid, and nasty things were hatching in it. Next time she does it, she'll use it earlier!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby tam » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Poor mum :D
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby MarkSindone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 pm

What I've found the worst problem about having a compost pile is that there's no real sanitary storage area to keep the pile of stuff while all the reactions in the pile are going on. I have a little drum in the corner of my garden, but I'm sure that there are more aesthetic ways to make a compost heap right? Anybody have any ideas?
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Postby Ceciele » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:59 pm

I have just started looking it the organic side of life and making my own compost for my hopefully soon coming organic garden. Thank you for sharing your method
Ceciele
Weeder

Postby MarkSindone » Thu May 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I think the key to creating a sanitary compost pile is to ensure to use the correct resources within the correct timespan. If not monitored closely, the whole mixture could transform into a putrid waste that is of no use for sure. I am now more keen on organic matters as I think they last longer and I have no worries over smells too.
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Return to Sustainable Gardening