Compost worm vanishing

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Compost worm vanishing

Postby bege » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Does anyone know much about worm farms? I have 6 that have been established for about 4 months now, populations have been growing. 4 are 44gal drums cut through the middle, have horse poo in all, 1 is a 44 gal under another spot and all worms have been haperly doing their thing until the last week or so when I turned their bedding the have all seemed to have gone! The bedding is moist and cool, all the food seems to have eaten but not a worm in site. The 6th farm is a Barth tub in a fernery and that seems to ok with lots of worms still in it.
bege
Weeder

Re: Compost worm vanishing

Postby karyn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

This happened to me recently, I think I killed them with too much tomato skin, then we had hot days. Did you add fresh horse poo? It can be 'hot', and the horses might have been wormed recently?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Compost worm vanishing

Postby bege » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm

The horse poo has been in there about 2 months and they had turned most of it in to poo so I know it wasn't that, the hot days haven't been so much as a problem as their soil stayed cool to touch. The only thing I can think of is they got bored and packed up and left [DISAPPOINTED FACE] they had been happy eating, pooing and multiplying one day and then gone the next.
bege
Weeder

Return to Sustainable Gardening