Advice on composting rodent bedding

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Advice on composting rodent bedding

Postby RodentBreeder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi,

I breed rodents on a relatively large scale and would like to do something useful with all the used bedding.

They are kept on either woodshavings or shredded hemp. The used bedding is obviously mixed with their waste and will have absorbed their urine.

I am wondering if the used bedding will be a suitable mix to compost or whether more green or brown waste will need to be added to it to get the correct ratio. I realise this may be a hard question to answer without knowing the exact composition of the used bedding but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
RodentBreeder
Apprentice

Re: Advice on composting rodent bedding

Postby Keo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I would definitely be mixing in other things into the compost. The best composts are a mixture of things. Everyone will have their own recipes and ideas. I personally find the mix is not as important as the aeration and moisture content. I have no idea if large amounts of urine will have a negative effect on the compost.

What do you breed the rodents for? Pets, reptile food or other? Just curious.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby RodentBreeder » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks, I have batch going in a tumbler with nothing else added to it do will see how it goes. I will keep an eye on it and see of it needs more brown or green waste adding to it If it works well I will look at making a bunch of my own tumblers as we generate quite a lot of waste.

They are bred for reptile food mostly with just a few fancy rats as little side projects.
RodentBreeder
Apprentice

Postby karyn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't have much rodent bedding, but my ratty wees like a bloody waterfall! She sleeps in shredded newspaper and I just chuck it in the tumbler, worm farm and regular compost with everything else. Too much sawdust can be an issue, chuck a bit more green with it and you'll be right.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 pm

When I had guinea pigs I just used their bedding straight on the garden as mulch.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Sustainable Gardening