Tips To Recycle Garden Materials

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Tips To Recycle Garden Materials

Postby josephferpes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Number of people look for ways to make their garden look beautiful and should be pocket-friendly. So, here are some tried and tested tips which you can utilize:

Recycle your drink cups to grow tomatoes from seed. When they’re ready to transplant, just remove the bottom inch or so of each cup and plant directly it in the ground. This prevents cutworms from making a meal of the transplants.

Use heavy-duty metal like “for sale” sign frames, and place them in the raised beds to support bed covers in early spring season.

Do not want to spend thousands in garden fencing then you should surely try this handy trick. Take scrap wood and build the veggie trellises and arbors with fallen branches and saplings. See isn't it so easy to do.

Now you can avoid buying expensive weed-blocking landscape cloth, instead of it use free old tarps from the local lumber store that they used to cover wood during shipping.

Gather pieces of concrete to utilize as stepping stones in garden.

Hope you will try these creative ideas. Do share your thoughts on it. If anybody has more interesting ideas to share please do.
josephferpes
Apprentice

Re: Tips To Recycle Garden Materials

Postby Vanleeuwen » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for the tips. I actually recycling some drink cups and use it. I find it more useful and cheap than buying a new one.
Vanleeuwen
Weeder

Postby MarkSindone » Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 pm

So far, I have recycled plenty of container types for the garden. Small glass mason jars could house as pots too which are durable and keep the moisture in. Other containers include styrofoam boxes which can be transformed into hydrophonic experiments.
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Postby MarkSindone » Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 pm

There are actually many more items around the house that you can recycle for the garden. I have used a glass container too which is more durable and waterproof. The idea is to reuse things that you already own so you get to save money as opposed to simply buying even new things from stores.
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Return to Sustainable Gardening