Mulch/ sugarcane mulch

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Postby malbec » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:19 pm

abwal wrote: The last lot I bought cost $1.50 a bale delivered, but then, we are surrounded by sugar cane

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And our nursery has just has a "special" of 3 bales for $45..instead of $17 a bale. :cry: :cry: :cry:
malbec
Head Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm

malbec wrote:
abwal wrote: The last lot I bought cost $1.50 a bale delivered, but then, we are surrounded by sugar cane

And our nursery has just has a "special" of 3 bales for $45..instead of $17 a bale. :cry: :cry: :cry:

and I bet his bale was one of those big round ones, not the compressed bags we get...
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:31 pm

guzzigirl wrote:
malbec wrote:

and I bet his bale was one of those big round ones, not the compressed bags we get...

The local bales that abwal would get are open bales, like hay, and can be quite coarse. The compressed bales are much finer and more expensive.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:58 am

those compressed bags cover even less though the beauty of it is it does break down quicker for adding nutrients.

our s/c mulch comes from farms along the logan river down woolgoolba way so for me that makes $7 a rough bale pretty expensive, the compressed stuff is $10+ a bale one nursery comes down to $7 if you buy more than 7 at a time.

we can't get any supply through winter so our local produce agency got their first load for the season a couple of weeks ago and it was all sold within a couple of days.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:45 am

abwal wrote:I find a good layer of animal manure covered by cane mulch is excellent. The last lot I bought cost $1.50 a bale delivered, but then, we are surrounded by sugar cane

And I was thinking $3 delivered was reasonable!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:28 am

There's a range of different compressed bales in varying sizes and prices so we may not all be talking about the same item.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:13 pm

g'dayb.l,

the ones we get are mostly from the rocky point/woolgoolba area on the logan river.

on is a almost square pack, the other is as long and as wide but flatter, it is supposed to be super compressed and still cover the same 4 sq/mtrs as the other bag is suppsoed to cover i think the thickness rate is 100mm??

anyhow we can get the super compressed bag at around $7.50, the other bag is usually around $10 or so bucks and with a bulk buy special at one nursery brings it down to $7.50ish.

the compressed stuff is very dusty.

a word to the wise last year the sugar cane farms where this stuff comes from had some fire ants in them they say it is now erradicated but doesn't hurt to be cautious.

wish i could get spoilt pasture grass hay like when in rural that is top stuff.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:26 pm

I've tracked down spoilt hay in the past.

I rang a number, in the Livestock section of the weekend shopper, that was selling feed grade lucerne and told them I was looking for mulch. Farmers are great networkers and usually know who has what.

You have to have a trailer and be prepared to travel a bit.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby tilly » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Re the sugar cane mulch...I usually pay between $11.00 to $12.50 for a bundle that will cover approx. 7 square metres.....today I had to buy 5 to get them at $11......but thats fine my garden will eat that many for breakfast......
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt. ~Author Unknown
tilly
Gardening Sage

Postby midgin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Another advantage of sugarcane mulch....if like me you put cuttings in everywhere and forget to water them in the early stages... the mulch sure does protect them with some moisture. I was thinking s/c mulch would also be ideal when you wish to layer a plant. Lay branch into a shallow trench in the soil, weight with a small rock and slather with s/c mulch to keep in some moisture.
I hope to get my cheque in the mail very soon...lol... :wink:
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Re: Mulch/ sugarcane mulch

Postby Gothic Mamma » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:12 pm

I have just read this thread and found it very informative. I get sugar cane mulch direct from a local cane farmer for $3 a bail.
Most of his crop that was hit by the frosts became mulch for sales as well. Thank goodness it helped him along.
I do love to use it and grow my spuds only in the cane mulch and don't have any problem with the spuds greening and they are nice and big. :D
Every day is a new adventure so lets enjoy it
Gothic Mamma
Propagator

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:21 pm

Gothic Mamma wrote:I do love to use it and grow my spuds only in the cane mulch and don't have any problem with the spuds greening and they are nice and big. :D

That's very interesting! I had wondered about its suitability, but thought it might remain too moist. Clearly not! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Gothic Mamma » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:01 am

Pam I put a sprinkle of B&B and lime not much though.
Then a good layer of news paper pop the tatoe on the paper put a good thick layer of mulch on them and pack it down a little give it all a good drink and leave it alone.
I check it every few days on a side away from the tatoe to check the moisture it averages out that I give them a drink about every 3-4 days maybe every 2nd in the real heat and just pile up more mulch as the plants get taller. Makes harvesting cleaner as well
When they are finished I turn the whole lot over and let it rot a little more add some more B&B and worm castings and plant some thing else. I have Strawberries on the last tatoe patch
Every day is a new adventure so lets enjoy it
Gothic Mamma
Propagator

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:20 am

Thankyou! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I have used sugar cane mulch as a layer over seeds, and found it worked really well- doesnt dry out so fast, and watering impact is spread out as well.

Only trouble is the cats love sleeping on it- better than what they like doing in wood mulch however!

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby amanda709 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm

I love my sugar cane mulch in my raised garden bed. My lettuce looks great all year round.

I found it works best when you apply water to the mulch before & after spreading, it helps keep it there as it is so light.

Found a great you tuble clip with hints on how to use sugar cane mulch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIafE_3pxsI

One thing I did notice the bales you buy on the side of the road near Yatala with the twine around them is much thicker than the ones in the bags found at Masters or the local nursary.

The bagged stuff is much easier to spread and goes further too.
amanda709
Apprentice

Postby tam » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 pm

I have been using sugarcane as mulch for a few years now and have noticed a great improvement in the clay soil.
I usually throw some organic extra down before spreading it.
The last price for the large tied bales was $5.05.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Modesty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 am

I buy the bagged stuff from a nursery since we are a bit lacking in sugarcane fields in Melbourne! But I find it is good to put around pots since it is shredded. Looks neat and tidy and stops the weeds for a while anyway, and the plants like it.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby MrFaulty » Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

I realise this post is getting old, but anyway....

I fill my chook nest boxes with sugar cane mulch, then when it gets toos dirty I mix it with the old grass clippings off the floor of the chook pen and use this as mulch. It does break down very quickly but the plants love it (not the natives though).
MrFaulty
Pruner

Previous

Return to Sustainable Gardening