Areobin

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Areobin

Postby gardenaholic » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:45 am

Someone was asking me about these new compost bins and what I thought about them and not having one I have no idea, so thought I would ask those that might have one of these new types of bins what they are like. :D :D
gardenaholic
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Someone on GA has one that they won in a comp and loves it. Sorry can't remember who.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby aquarium » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:31 am

i inspected one at a gardening store, to see what the fuss is about. from memory the price tag was around $400. personally i couldn't justify such an outlay for a compost bin...much better of buying a shredder in my opinion. anyway, the bin is quite large and has a false bottom, which drains excess liquid away. "under the hood" i.e. under the cover, a central stem/pipe with two inverted cones infuses air into the compost, which is the reason for the claim of much faster composting.
i might try one day putting in a slotted pipe into my gedeye bin, so i don't need to turn the compost frequently.
aquarium
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 am

i might try one day putting in a slotted pipe into my gedeye bin, so i don't need to turn the compost frequently.
=======================
I never turn mine, it's not really neccessary in an anaerobic system.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby astrodog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Don't anaerobic systems smell, and compost slowly??? Is there any reason for using anaerobic composting???
Lee
astrodog
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:58 pm

astrodog wrote:Don't anaerobic systems smell, and compost slowly??? Is there any reason for using anaerobic composting???

===========================
They can do but if you keep the lid on it's not a problem. They are slower but take up less room and if i was to put the amount of vege scrapes we generate into an open heap the rats would have a field day.

A really good book to read that goes into detail about the different composting methods is Recycle Your Garden by Tim Marshall.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby astrodog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 am

I can't see how having a few pipes to the interior really helps aerate the pile much anyway, without some sort of pump actually injecting air - I would think a small zone around the pipes would be aerobic, and the rest as per a normal bin.... I could be wrong though!
Lee
astrodog
Head Gardener

Postby aquarium » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:32 pm

yes, powered ventilation would be the go.....as they do in commercial compost furrows/piles.
aquarium
Curator

I bought an Aerobin

Postby GreenGrub » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi there,

Read all the replies with interest. I have one, bought it when they first came onto the internet. There was a lot of good research that came out with it from a UNi in Vic and so I did a LOT of research as I never do anything without finding out EVERYTHING and for us at the time it was the best option. Suburban block, desperately poor soil and frustrated gardener. I have honestly had my doubts and this weekend I am going to crack the bottom slides and see what I get.
HOwever it's different from the normal anaerobic bins, it does get hot. Very hot. It uses this as well as some other stuff to be a cross between cold composting...in bins to hot composting in a pile. I am about to start a pile off now as I have so much more garden! YIPPEE!! (yn) Hopefully it will work ok. We have plenty of horse poo that needs heat to kill the seeds in it.

It may not be for everyone, I certainly didn't pay $400 more like $320 I think and I have had it for 18 months or more now. I am happy with it but it's not for everyone. But if you have a normal backyard and want something that's a cross in composting then take a look. See if you can buy direct cause I think the margin at the nurseries is a little rich!

My only advice is: Make sure it's on a flat surface as it can bulge if it's not.
Put a piece of hose on the leachate adaptor at the bottom of the unit and attach a little tap to it to get the juice out. I don't get much but then I haven't put much additional water into it so it's a bit dry at the moment.
They don't like being moved when full! Mine moved 80kms in a trailer, my poor husband man handled it into a trailer for me as I was not going to leave it behind for the new owners!! NO way!

Will let you know what the compost looks like after today...... (yn)
When all else fails, get your hands in the dirt. Mother Nature heals all :-)
GreenGrub
Head Gardener

Postby Paddles » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:20 am

I'm sure I've read a few posts on this forum saying that it definately was not worth the money. I tried coiling some agg pipe into my upside down compost bins, but it made no real difference. I rarely turn my bins these days, and find that they break down just fine for a suburban block (Mind you I have three. what I do is, fill one, then start on the next one, when it's full, I turn them into the next bin (So bin 1 emptys into bin 2, bin 2 emptys into bin three, when 3 is full, I empty the first bin into the garden, throwing any big bits back through the system. works ok. Not as good as open bins, but ok.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow? Only to be troubled and insecure?
Paddles
Senior Curator

Re: Areobin

Postby GreenGrub » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:13 pm

Well the compost in my Aerobin is good. Just too hot to spread it at the moment. I am going to go to 3 bin system when I get more green waste. Have 2 bins going at the moment, the aerobin is finished and I am using an old square plastic one for the kitchen scraps so the vermin don't get into it. We got lots of hungry bunnies at the moment. Our little terriers are on relentless bunny patrol at the moment!!

The Aerobin might not be the best but it's not the worst and would be good for a suburban block as we had when I bought it. I don't think they are really worth all the money they cost but they are certainly more robust than some, have better looks, which blend in, lets face it the average back yard isn't that big and if this will help people compost then all the better.
It doesn't smell and it does the job, there is science behind it and its design.
Like anything that is different there will be those that like and those that don't. I wouldn't buy another one but that's not to say I am dissatisfied with the one I have. (Y)
GreenGrub
Head Gardener

Postby The Estate » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:18 pm

How much are they, saw then again last night the Garden Guru's :-?
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby GreenGrub » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:55 pm

Not sure...I think I paid....$200?? Sounds like a lot now! :shock:
GreenGrub
Head Gardener

Postby mousiehousie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:27 pm

We paid $400 for ours and I wouldn't give you 400 cents for it ! After twelve months of trying all the different ways and advice we still end up with a stinky mess. What goes in dry, stays dry and the rest just gets stinkier :-@ It is hard to remove from the bottom of the bin. What we end up doing is removing it from the bottom of the bin [ the worst of it ] , put it to the back of the garden , cover it with soil and leave it. It will then break down and is usable . Not what i want at all . I think I will go back to my tumbler and use the Areo as a receptacle in waiting for this . A very expensive holding bin
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:07 am

MH, have you contacted the makers at all?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby mousiehousie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Yes Pam. Followed their hints and tips and it is still a no go . I don't think they are even well made :shock: They seem to move and certainly let out the smell. And yes it is on a solid surface. Husband made a wooden platform up off the ground in hopes of making access to remove contents and empty the liquid from the bottom . Liquid ? what liquid :roll: That also doesn't do as they say.
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby The Estate » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 pm

I am not going to read all this thread, but at the show today I did overhear a lot of people who came out of their area, sounds great but SOOOOOOOOOOO $$$$$$, I was waiting to meet up with a few as I got lost in traffic grid again :twisted:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Aerobin 400 vs Rats

Postby captaindaz1973 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:22 am

I put this on the Garden Forum but thought I'd double post here just in case people don't search there. See my posting on Aerobin 400 vs Rats. I found the bin to produce good mulch but was poor in the protection front. Here is my solution.

Quote: Just a point to note for those who have a Aerobin 400. Have you had a problem with vermin chewing through the base? :o I have recently discovered 2 rats chew through the base (next to the lechant tank) and feast on the table scraps. After emptying the bin (which had great mulch by the way) I discovered the hole. :x

IMG_0412.jpg
Rat hole found

I have patched the hole and wired up the base using bird cage wire. I originally had the base sitting on a mixture of compact gravel and pavers only the rats dug through the compact gravel. Just wondered if people had similar issues? I have taken some photos of my newly secured base. The extra wire has been balled into the cavity under the base to stop movement under there. The whole base has been secured with a sheet of wire and mounted on the concrete path shown.

IMG_0450.jpg
Extensive wire placed in cavity under bin.

IMG_0454.jpg
Finished Product!....Now this is closer to being 'Rodent Proof'!!

Now those pesky rats won't be able to get in!! :wink:
captaindaz1973
Cultivator

Return to Sustainable Gardening